Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Balgownie Hostel arrival 1957

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Atkin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Balgownie Hostel arrival 1957 Reply with quote

Our family arrived at Balgownie Hostel in May 1957 having travelled here on the 'Strathnaver'. My twin brother and I were 11 and we had a younger brother aged 4.
Unfortunately my mother died 3 months after arrival and as a result we lived on the hostel for nearly 4 years. To my father left widowed in a foreign country with no family support, the Hostel was a godsend (not withstanding the frugal living arrangements) in that we three children got fed in the canteen and neighbours kept a close eye on us.
Hostel living allowed my father to work overtime to save for a house and we boys were encouraged by Skip Townsend to become actively involved in hostel sporting and social activities.
I have fond memories of that period and I will be eternally grateful to my father for persevering in the face of adversity. Without the security of hostel living things could have been much tougher for our family.
Len

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear about your mother mick, that must have been awful.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick,
I am so sorry about your mother, tragic. I take my hat off to your father
who persevered and looked after his precious children.
"Skip" , too, played an important part and I think you were very brave so I take my hat off to you and your siblings ,I know your mother would have been very prouid of you all.
Mick Atkin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phyl,
Sometimes good things come out of family tragedies. Following my mother's death on the hostel in 1957, my father was befriended by a couple of migrant families who remained his best friends until his death in 2001.

Two of my best friends today I first met as an 11year old boy on Balgownie hostel. In fact only an hour ago I returned home from visiting an friend in Cooma NSW who was the centre half in our Balgownie hostel under 14 soccer team of 1958!
By the way I'm currently reading a book called 'Ten Pound Poms' Australia's Invisible Migrants - A life history of post war emigration to Australia. It's a fountain of information.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mick
I too have friends who were in CHL and are still my very dear friends and have been since 1958, !960 ,and later in the sixties. Though we are in a different country now and have rarely seen each other we have managed to to keep a close friendship by first ,writing letters and cards and then the telephone and later the internet. One couple have been over here several times and I have been back to Australia a couple of times. I sometimes feel it is like yesterday since I saw them all some Australian friends away from hostels included. Smile I speak on the phone with one couple every couple of months and it is though we have never been parted.
I think it is wonderful if you can maintain the friendship and you and you Dad obviously achieved this too.
I have been back in NZ since 1973 so I feel very blessed to have my friendships last so long.
I hope to see the DVD of 'Ten Pound Poms' Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: