Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colmslie Migrant Hostel 1951

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Colmslie Hostel:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazlo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Colmslie Migrant Hostel 1951 Reply with quote

My name is Les Lavender. Earlier today I was looking at Google Maps for Bulimba & Colmslie, and was discussing the area with my elderly mother. After Googling Colmslie Hostel, I came across Annie Campbell's entry for Colmslie Migrant Hostel on this forum.
My parents sailed from the UK in September 1951 and arrived in Brisbane October 1951 and was sent to Colmslie Migrant Hostel. According to Mum, the hostel was originally for couples only but later families with children started to arrive. Apparently I was the first baby born at the Hostel on 15th March 1952, the second baby was to a lady called Joyce (I will have to have another session with Mum to get Joyce's full name).
As the first baby, Mum tells me that they wanted my middle name to be Colmslie but she resisted when I was Christened in Morningside church.
She remembers a railway that went down to a slaughterhouse which was next to a pier where sharks were brought ashore.
We left the Hostel and moved to Adelaide in 1954 then returned to the UK in 1956. I now live in Milton Keynes in the UK and hope to visit Brisbane when I retire in a couple of years as I have never had the opportunity to go back.

Are there any pictures of the hostel or the area nearby from the early 50's as it would bring more of Mum's memories of the time back?
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Les,
Enjoyed reading your post.We were at Colmslie in 1958 and sadly the only photos I have ,are of our children and pets taken inside the house,so of no use .
Was Mr Flood the manager when you were there?And the Bottings would have been on the staff plus Mr. Crockett in the office.I wonder if your mother remembers any of these people.Floods had two cocker spaniels one named Bounce and another a female whose name escapes me.
There are snippets about our time in Colmslie throughout the forum. Enjoyed the time we had there. Smile
Lazlo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Phyl,
Mum doesn't recall the names you mention, but she tells me of a Jim & Hilda Gunner who were on the staff. Hilda Gunner became my Godmother.
I understand that in 1953 there was some problem with rents on all the camps, none was being paid in any of the camps but she doesn't remember why.
Looks like we moved into a two room place in Lindsay Street, Bulimba.
I've tried to add a picture so don't know if it will work.
Regards
Les
[img]C:\Users\Dad\Pictures\Lindsay Street 005.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Lazlo on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lazlo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phyl,
Picture didn't work.
Les
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Les,
If you send the picture through to Len he will put it on the forum. Would love to see it.
Kindest regards
Phyl. Smile
Len

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Les.
Sorry for the delay in replying but I�ve been busy?.... �I think� Embarassed
Anyways great to have you here and thank you so much for the photo. It was a great surprise when I received your photo today and I�ve now gladly inserted it into your above post.
Out of curiosity, is Lindsay Street near to Colmslie Hostel? - not that it matters, was just wondering.

p.s
and thanks for your help Phyl.

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Colmslie Hostel: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: