Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life on Berkeley Hostel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Berkeley Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Life on Berkeley Hostel. Reply with quote

During our stay on Berkeley Hostel 1967 to 1968 there was plenty to do as children. I played netball for the hostel along with other British girls . We were entered into tournaments and I do have a photo of a presentation evening that I will post to the site. I also had Scottish country dancing lessons with a lady called Jenny. She was very petite and had a bun hairstyle. Lots of the girls bought dancing shoes and loved to go every week.I remember my dad making me some swords so that I could practice the sword dance. I was also fortunate to go to Sunday school every Sunday in Woollongong.A white mini bus used to wait every Sunday outside the dining hall and take us to church.We used to have our lesson in the basement which was painted all white and it was very cool as I remember, in the heat of the day. I also remember my dad furiously spraying the hut at night before we went to bed.I can smell that spray even now all these years later. All the memories I have are on slides at the moment which you look at through a viewfinder.I am looking into having them transferred into photos so that I can share them on the site. Kind regards Bev.
Len

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bev

They had a netball team at the Unanderra Hostel which wasn�t too far from Berkeley Hostel. Perhaps you played them at some point. The Unanderra team were called the �Green Flashes�.

There is a thread already running in the Unanderra Hostel forum about the green flashes, so if any of the Unanderra Hostel team wishes to and comment about their team, then please do. Mr. Green

Netball team..(Green Flashes)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Berkeley Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: