Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photos shared by Phil:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leigh
I�ve inserted 3 of your hostel site images into one of your posts above because you have given descriptions and I thought it would help.

I also would love to see the hostel�s plan. If you have a digital camera, could you not take a photo of it? Or, is there a link that would point us to the map?

Smile
chrisnic chrisnic has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leigh, Len

I searched the NAA website, to no avail. However, I did discover quite a few migrant hostel images. I've added a post to the National Archives thread in the Other Web Sites forum.

I would imagine there are ways and means of joining or arranging scanned images, but I'm guessing it would require special purpose software.

Great photos Leigh, thanks again.

Chris
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos Leigh,I loved them and also felt kinda sad as I looked at the empty spots apart from floors and 18 and a half years of CHL was silenced. cry

I followed your instuctions and have looked at 42 photos so far in the archives. Will return today for another peek. A lot of the photo so far are of Bonegilla, Greta ,Orana etc holding centres and they were government but not Commonwealth Hostels Ltd.
There were of course some CHL hostels eg.Villawood,Dundas,Ainslie Unanderra,Nunawading ,Wacol(although Wacol became CHL later after Colmslie closed.) etc.

Also my twins were at Hammondville school in late 1967 and 1968 then on to Liverpool Boys High Where their older brother was.
Smile
fairstar1965 fairstar1965 has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Len, Chris & Phyl.

Thanks for the comments on the pics. I'll try borrowing a digital camera off a friend to photograph the hostel chart, failing that I could make a detailed sketch onto an A4 size sheet then scan it. I love artwork anyway so that wouldn't be a problem. As a matter of fact I'm already working on a plan showing the whole region as it looked when East Hills and Heathcote Hostels were standing. So I'd be happy to supply it also when finished.

Kind regards,
Leigh Very Happy
Len

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Leigh, that would be great.
I�m no artist but I attempted to draw a plan view of the Unanderra hostel site. It was drawn from memory and is no where near too scale but it gives the basic layout.

Basic Unanderra Hostel Map

Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leigh

I have an aerial view of East Hills hostel in the 1960's I downloaded from the national archives site the other day. It 's a bit small and fuzzy, but gives a good overview. I also have a screenshot satellite view of the area as it is today from Google maps. If you'd like them PM me and I'll send them to you.

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leigh

I got your PM and have sent a reply

Chris
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: East Hills Plan Reply with quote

fairstar1965 wrote:
Hi Chris.
Leigh, I was wondering if you also had the layout of East Hills Hostel? I would love to have a copy if its at all possible. Also, from your text, we may have went to Hamondville PS together!
Richard Hallford

I'd love to have the hostel chart uploaded for all to see but alas it's so big I can't fit it on my scanner. Unless I do it in sections? Not being technically minded I wouldn't know how I'd join them together to make it comprehensible. I'll have to work something out.

All the best,
Leigh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard

Good to hear from you again. There's an aerial shot of the hostel dated 1970 at the Natonal Archives website. If you go to my post on the "Other Web Links" sub-forum http://www.migrantweb.com/hostelsforum/viewtopic.php?t=361, and follow the steps, type in "east hills hostel" into the Refine Search at step 6. You should get back about 10 images, including the aerial shot.

Noticed in your profile you're based in Melbourne? Hope you enjoyed your stay in Sydney, we've had some decent weather in the last couple of weeks.

Regards
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Aerial Photo Reply with quote

Tks for the reply. I already have this. I have uploaded it to Len for posting, as the copyright on NAA says it can be used for study or research, which I believe this board comes under. I have also uploaded a swag of photos which Im sure Len will get around to posting. Some of them are my visit to the old site on the 16.04.2009. I have some small vids of the site which I have not uploaded due to size restrictions, but you are welcome to have if you wish. PM me an email and I will send them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard
I think it's OK as long as you acknowledge the source and quote the serial no. (I think I read that on their website somewhere).

Thanks for the offer, I've sent you a PM.

Cheers
Chris
fairstar1965 fairstar1965 has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard.

Unfortunately I don't have a plan of East Hills Hostel. However I have seen a chart at the National Archives dept in Sydney (from where I obtained my copy of Heathcote Rd Hostel). Mind you it only shows the hostel after the new flats were built, circa 1970, not as it was in the 1960s. You could try writing them requesting a copy to be made. I recall them being located at Chester Hill when I went there some years ago, but I'm sure you could get the full address off the net.

By the way, interesting that we may have attended Hammondville school at the same time. Who knows, you may have been in my class. Our teacher was a woman with shoulder-length jet-black hair, shaped like Marianne Faithful's, who always seemed to wear a white polo neck sweater and black skirt. Perhaps you remember her? The school bus would pick up from both hostels so we're sure to have been onboard together!

All the best,
Leigh

Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you played in the Heathcote Hearts soccer team. I have posted several pics for Len to put up. I have started a topic on it. There are two team photos included in it. Heathcote Hearts soccer team consisted of East Hills boys, Heathcote Hostel boys and some other locals, but always played at the East Hills Hostel as they had the soccer pitch. Also, do you remember what classes or years you were in at Hammondville. Ive got some class photos other than my own. Richard
cruzyandrew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leigh,
the huts that housed 4 families were bigger than the ones that housed two families.
I seem to remember one hut that was boarded shut when we were there from 1960 to the end 1962. Rumour had it that it was the scene of a murder.
Great to see the plans that you posted. We were in number 56 next to the path. There was a large steel fire box at the end of the path.
The fire hose behind 56 was a small shed that we draw cricket wickets on and played there before catching the school bus.

Regards

Andrew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Murder at East Hills Reply with quote

Andrew, Hi, the girl that was murdered was Monica Schofield. I have come across a Police Journal that describes the events, complete with some pics and a map of the incidents. The copy that I know of resides in Liverpool Library. I sighted it on 16.04.2009. You are allowed to photo copy it if you have any interest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: