Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pounds, Shillings and Pence. Decimalization.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Pounds, Shillings and Pence. Decimalization. Reply with quote

While searching you tube I came across this old public information clip. It�s an advertisement for the new up coming dollar bill (decimalization).
Prior to the 14th February 1966 the Australian currency was pounds, shillings and pence (I believe Smile ).

I never saw it or anything else as our family didn�t arrive in Australia till 1967 and to us, Australia had always been dollars and cents.

Does anyone remember this old add and the currency change over? It must have been easy to have got used too; I would hate to have to go back to the old pounds, shillings and pence system. Confused

Link
chrisnic chrisnic has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Len, I remember. The ad's featured a cartoon character named Dollar Bill. The conversion was easy: ten shillings became a dollar, a shilling became ten cents. So to convert pounds to $'s you just doubled the number. From memory the old currency disappeared within a week or two. Certainly made school arithmetic a lot easier. I still have nightmares about doing long division and multiplication on pounds, shillings and pence.

Chris
Len

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long division? What�s that? It�s been many years since I�ve heard that term. These days, I�m an expert with a calculator. Mr. Green

I�ve had a quick search on youtube to see if I could find the said "Dollar Bill" adds but no joy. I can vaguely remember the old British thruppence. I used to get one as pocket money when I was a lad.

Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Len, showing my age there, a product of the British school system of the 50's.

Dollar Bill was the little chap in your video clip. Here's a link:
Museum of Australia. The new decimal notes.

I remember the old thrupenny bit. I heard somewhere that it replaced a small round silver coin that was too easy to confuse with a 6d. When we came to Australia, they still used the old silver coin ("tray bit"), but of course that vanished in 1966. Another piece of trivia: as seen on the clip, the original 50c coin was round, not the 11-sided one used today. It lasted 1 year, and was replaced because it was too easily confused with the 20c coin. I still have 2 of the original 1966 coins.

Chris
Len

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Chris, it�s very interesting. I�ve had a quick search and there seams to be loads of info about the old pounds, shillings and pence, along with images.

Smile
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the change of currency they played a little ditty ending with "on the 14 th of February 1966. " Can't think of the rest of it. The tune was like "Click go the Shears" So I always remeber the date of the change of currency. Can anyone remember that little ditty ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phyl

The words to the jingle are on the page I linked to in the post above.

Chris
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris,
Have had a look and remember the song . A lot of nostalgia thankyou. Very Happy
slavica

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I remember the pounds and shillings very well. We arrived in Australi in 1963 when I was 13. It took me ages to get used to the currency and measurments (miles and stones) as we were used to the decimal system. The maths is not a good memory for me either Chris.

Just as I got used to it all everything changed. I remeber the excitment on the school bus to Dapto High on the morning of the changeover.

My brother collected pennies in a big glass jar and still has them.
mazda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a proud moment for me at the local quiz night a couple of years ago. The question was what date did Australia change to decimal currency that little ditty was ringing in my head. We got that one right. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: