Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fairy Meadow Hostel Oct 1970 - 1971

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Lost Friends:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeanette313

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Fairy Meadow Hostel Oct 1970 - 1971 Reply with quote

Hi

Is there anyone out there that was on Fairy Meadow Hostel during 70 -71 I am wanting to locate friends I knew at that time Mandy Pleshek (From UK) Mother English father Polish. Jon Lojze and Pleshko there was heaps more but I have forgotten their names. My name is Jeanette I came here with my Mum and Dad Tom and Lydia and two sisters Anita and Lesley we used to hang around the Hostel Park and Rec room all the time, does anyone know where I could find Skip ? He was such a nice and friendly guy always making sure us migrants had a bit of a social life which was pretty good with the Rec activities. Jon Lojze was an Austrian and often did a lot of gymnastic work for Skip as entertainment he was very good. Hope you can help with the above thanks Jeanette
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Fairy Meadow Reply with quote

Jeanette, Im not sure if you know or not, but Fairy Meadow was, I believe also known as Balgownie Hostel. I have the hostel layout plans poste on this site. I can send them to you if you wish them. Perhaps it will inspire you to find where you and your freind lived on the Hostel.
Jeanette313

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted message

Last edited by Jeanette313 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Austrian Reply with quote

Nope probs, I do so understand the excitement of looking for and finding an old freind. I found one of mine from the Hostel I stayed in just about two months ago, after 40 odd years. Also, I think you should check the spelling of Johns surname. My surname is nearly always spelt wrongly. Searching on the NAA is unforgiven and difficult at the best of times. I have recently discovered that Migrant Hostels here in Victoria had address books of who arrived, where they stayed and when they departed, included forwarding addresses. Ive bought a bundle of East Hills Hostel archived papers (yet to arrive) which may include this information also. I found this info on the NAA. However, the details of whats included is very sketchy. So you might want to do a search of the NAA for this also. You never know. Good luck, Richard.
Jeanette313

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard

Well I found my block on your map of the hostel which was 'F' Block will check with my dad and see if he has the number as for our friend he was on 'A' block not sure of the number but I will take your tip on searching NAA I am going to Sydney this weekend. You have been a huge help though. will be in touch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Lost Friends: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: