Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Balgownie Hostel on Google Earth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dancewithmarg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Balgownie Hostel on Google Earth Reply with quote

I know the hostel is no longer in existence, but wondered where the site of it is on Google Earth, I can find Fairy Meadow, but can't remember the name of the street/s where it would have been. There's a park showing, wondered if that is where it was.

Marg
Nova Scotia
Mick Atkin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Balgownie Hostel site Reply with quote

Balgownie hostel site is now the University of Wollongong East campus and is bounded by Squires Way, Elliots Road and Cowper Street.

At the northern end of the site sits the original 'A' block and 'B' block canteen and two other smaller nissen huts that were moved to that position 3 years ago.

The southern most of those smaller huts was formally a sheet and towel distribution centre and in 1957 it was the Commonwealth Bank.

The small nothern hut was formally a managers house that was relocated from the formally fenced off manager's area in the centre - east of the site.
The two canteens at the southern end of the hostel were demolished three years ago to make way for student accomodation.

The roadway entrance through the site is all the original hostel road.

Cheers, Mick Atkin
Len

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed Directions Mick, made it a lot easier to find.
I myself thought it was somewhere around that area because I can remember the outlets from the creek/ river which ran into the ocean and I knew it wasn�t far from there.
On occasions, we would from travel from Unanderra hostel/ Berkeley over to Fairy meadow Hostel to play soccer 1968/ 69 ish.

Google Maps. Balgownie.

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: