Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nunnawading Migrant Hostel 1962

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself:
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should I do
Should I try to reunite the family
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
Should I find my hostel friends
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

Christopher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Nunnawading Migrant Hostel 1962 Reply with quote

Hi my name is Christopher Nelson, in 1962 on board the Orsova I emigrated with my Mam IVY nelson and Dad nelson when I was 11 years old from Grimsby in Lincolnshire. I went to the Eastbridger Hostel, although we all called it the Nunawading Hostel. I loved it, the bush, the jam donutts and all the girls to lay with wow.
I love Australia very much, I also loved the hostel, it became my womb, a place of safety and solace. I also loved the jam donuts on fridays.

Miss 1961

Last edited by Christopher on Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris.,
What a tragic story.I wish I could wave a magic wand and you would be reunited with your family.
My late husband as assistant manager at Nunawading but sadly it was long before you were there, 1955.
Please accept at this late stage my deepest sympathy for the sadness and grief you have suffered.
I was pregnant with my beloved twins at Nunawading and 11 years ago my youngest twin died of cancer,he died in my beloved eldest son's arms, one hour before I got back to him, and my son has taken all those years to recover so it must have been a tremendously traumatic experience for you.
We were in hostels 18 and a half years and when we left it was like being in a wilderness outside a completely different way of life ,guess the same sorta like a secure womb.
Chris maybe your family will come across this site, or your friends, and make contact with you.
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Christopher. I stayed in Eastbridge (Nunawading) for a very short three weeks in 1978. Ive been dong the nostalgia thingy and have been conducting some personal research. My main focus is East Hills Hostel in NSW, but if I can help in any way to perhaps at least point you in the right direction for information, I would be glad to help. Kindes Regards, Richard Hallford.
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re your post, in another area, I have posted some information which basically says that you MAY be able to get copies of address books from Nuna Hostel. They are available on the National Archives site. They are supposed to contain forwarding addresses, which, even after this time, may give you some clues to freinds names, familiar families etc. Richard.
Len

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Christopher welcome to our forums.
What a sad and tragic story you�ve told us. I cant imagine what it must have been like for you and the rest of your family. I probably wont even get close.
I really do hope that one day you will eventually reunite with everyone again.

Good Luck!
GinaKate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly did it tough Christopher, but I don't think you need a poll to judge whether or not to try to re-unite your family and contact old friends, you have answered your own question just by asking it. It's what you want, and it's right for you. I'm sure your search will be fruitful. All the best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: