Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

East Hills from about 1956 to 1963

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: East Hills from about 1956 to 1963 Reply with quote

Just tripped over your site, and I must say thanks for the hard work you put in. My father, Galvin Wickham, was a manager at East Hills from about 1956 to 1963. I would be interested to hear from anyone who recalls him or his 3 sons, Brian Kent and Paul. Smile
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kent,
Certainly heard of your Dad .but knew Keith Wickham better was Keith your Uncle? Tony my late husband and manager with CHL would have known him,your Dad. Smile
Kent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Wickhams Reply with quote

Hi Phyl
Keith was my uncle and spent most of his time at Villawood. Our family moved around quite a bit until the long stint at East Hills. I'm trying to piece together a time line of where and when we were at what hostel, but age may be taking its toll. I remember being at Walgrove, Villawood, Greylands (WA), Finsbury (SA), East Hills twice (first time was about 1953/4) and several others.
Dad passed away in 1970 and Keith about 1974.
I have some photos hidden away somewhere, mostly of managerial type gatherings and not many of the hostel in general (I suppose you don't take pictures of your workplace). I'll see what I can dig up over the next couple of weeks and email them in.
Cheers
Kent
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kent,
I remember when Keith died We had left hostels by then and returned to NZ.I am still in touch with a couple of ex managers and their wives.Keith was a field officer when we left. We left in April 1973 after 18 and a half years and were transferred around heaps too. East Hills and Berkeley were our longest stays and we were at Heathcote Rd twice and Dundas and Cabramatta twice.Also Wallgrove,Colmslie,Balgownie,Nunawading,Maribyrnong,Preston,Villawood,Tony was relieving when we were there,Matraville,Villawood (early days)
Bradfield Park (twice) so guess like my kids you went to heaps of schools.we were in the company from 1954 to 1973.
Will look in the Company Tidings I have to see if there are any pictures of you Dad .I know Keith is in a couple.
Love to see any photos you care to post.
Len has given us a wonderful site and I am eternally grateful to him.
There are other Manager's children on the site too, youy may know them. Smile
Len

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kent welcome to our forums and thank you for taking the time in joining us.
If you would be so good as to share your photos with us then please email them to me.
Unfortunately there are no uploading facilities on these forums but I would be so happy to upload them manually. I will print your families name, location and year onto the photos before adding them to the forums.

Smile
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kent ,
Here is a photo of your Uncle who as we know is , sadly , deceased.He was a nice fellow so sweet memories for you.The photo was taken in 1977, on the occasion of his 25th anniversary in Commonwealth Hostels Ltd.
Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: