Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bunnerwong Hostel 1967

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bunnerong Hostel:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Ashton

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Bunnerwong Hostel 1967 Reply with quote

Hi Guys, My names Bill Ashton. I arrived in Australia 27-2-67 at Bunnerwong Hostel aged !0. Dads name was George Ashton and mums was Nancey. I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters. Kevin, Hilary,Janet and John. We all lived in 9 block opposit the dinning hall. Dad worked in the hostel kitchen foe some years and was the union rep for the workers for some time. im happy to talk with anyone who may remember mum dad or anyone from our family.
Migrated to Aus in 67. Mum Dad and 5 kids.We lived on 9 block when we lived there. Dad cooked in the kitchings there for some years. I think he was the union rep there too.his name was George and mums name Nancy.
Len

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill, welcome to our forums.

wave
Bill Ashton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Photo in mail Reply with quote

Hi len, Thank you for your welcome, I have emailed you a photo , hope it is of use to you. Your doing a great job on this web site.Thanks again

Migrated to Aus in 67. Mum Dad and 5 kids.We lived on 9 block when we lived there. Dad cooked in the kitchings there for some years. I think he was the union rep there too.his name was George and mums name Nancy.
Len

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photo Bill. I've inserted it into your above post.

Smile
alan white

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: norlane hostel Reply with quote

I came to Australia on board the SS Strathaird, it left Tilbury dock in London on 24th May 1957, because of the Suez war in 1956 the canal was blocked, so we had to go via South Africa, we stopped at Dakar in what is now Senegal, CapeTown, Durban, and a twelve day voyage across the Indian Ocean to Fremantle, drinking water was rationed for the whole twelve days, then on to Adelaide, and finally our destination Melbourne where we spent a week before moving to Geelong and Norlane Hostel, where I lived for the next two and a half years, it was a very traumatic period of my life. my parent never got on with each other, they were always rowing, even on the boat before we got to Australia, and so my mother decided that she would return to England, and so at the age of fifteen I returned to England by myself in December 1959. I liked Australia and I did visit in 2000 for three weeks, I Stayed with an old friend who I had not seen for over forty years, anyway I will send some photos as soon as I can dig them out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bunnerong Hostel: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: