Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Research enquiry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Research enquiry Reply with quote

Hi!

My name is Jamie and I am currently studying at Adelaide University doing a History/English major. I am a mature-age student (40) who returned to uni to pursue my dream of becoming a teacher and perhaps even academic lecturing.

My partents are both migrants; my mother came out with her parents and two brothers from the UK as "ten pound poms" in 1959 and my father immmigrated from Italy in 1952 as 3yr old with his parents and older sisters.

My mum stayed at Finsbury migrant hostel (Pennington SA). My dad stayed at Gepps Cross.

Anyway, I have joined this forum as I am currently doing a research internship with National Archives. My research topic is the migrant hostels in SA post WWII (1950-60's). With this in mind I am seeking any information on the migrant camps in SA, especially any info on location (street addresses), layout, construction, conditions/facilities, prior land ownership etc...

I believe via enquiry that there were camps at Pennington, Gepps Cross, Glenelg, Gawler, Smithfield, Northfield, Woodside, Berri, et al.

Anyone who has any access to aerial pictures (or any pictures they want to share) or was involved with building construction or worked in the hostels or can help me with info on the actual hostels/camps rather than the people in them, that would be appreciated.

All and any assistance will be properly acknowledged and copyright will be respected.

Thankyou in anticipation.

Kind regards,
Honour candidate (English/History)
Len

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jamie
Welcome to our forums and good luck with your requests. I really hope that perhaps someone here can help.

Smile
Jamie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Len,

Thankyou for your reply.

I have managed to do some preliminary research over the last few days and have gathered some good leads, but I only have locations for Finsbury, Rosewater and Gawler. re the others I am going to try the local council libraries/records as they must have done the rates assessments and planning approvals at the time. I really need the street addresses as a basis for my research.

It's amamzing that something so important to our cultural heratige has been forgotten. I can understand if some of the people who came out want to forget their experiences, but surely historians and state records have a duty to retain this information. Most dissapointing that there is not a single repository for this info.

Anyway, I'll continue my 'adventures'. Rolling Eyes

Cheers!

Jamie
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jamie,
Though I wish I could help you I can't, even though I remember Finsbury and Glenelg Hostels I didn't go there though we were in hostels fpr 18 ands a half years and were transferred around.
I do agree with you when you say there should be more information about them ,kept fpr posterity.
I also was sad to know that so many of the new hostel buildings like East Hills were simply demolished. What a waste.Maybe because they were on federal land and not state.they couldn't be used by the state government
Jamie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phyl,

Thanks for your reply. Yes it is a pitty they were knocked down, it's almost like a 'cover-up'.

I'm slowly gathering more info though. I'm enjoying the 'quest'.

All the best,

Jamie
Very Happy
daweb1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Finsbury Hostel Reply with quote

Jamie

I lived a street from Finsbury Hostel. I sold newspapers as a early teenager in the canteen. I attended Pennington Primary school where nearly all the migrant children went to. Interesting that SA handpicked primary school teachers to deal with new arrivals. They were brilliant educators and I would not be doing what I do now if it hadn't been for their mentoring. I playes soccer for their soccer team, cricket for their cricket team and was conflicted when we had the Pommy Wars -English kids vs Aussie kids, though these bouts never lasted long - we were all playing sport together and were friends.

BD
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie, the Immigration Museum in Melbourne may be able to point you in the right direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: