Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Altona Hostel 1963

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Altona Hostel 1963 Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Susan Hird, nee Gillet. My family and I lived on Altona Hostel in Victoria from June 1963 to September 1965, when we moved to Braybrook.

During my time on the Hostel, I attended Williamstown Girls Secondary School.

Do any of you remember going horseriding at Old Jerramiah's in Williamstown? Chicken, Blaze and Blazette were just some of the horses he had in his ordinary suburban back yard. Would never be allowed today.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the madhouse Susan- we're having an excellent time reminiscing, and it's all taken off in such a such a short time. I didn't know all of the older girls by name, but you would have definitely been on our school bus- we used to do the pickup from Willy Girls' every day.

Linda Myers was talking about the horse-riding last week when we met up at Williamstown. People kept horses in odd places for years around Williamstown and Altona.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived next door to the Griffin's on the hostel. In fact, we arrived by the same boat. My best friend till she left for Queensland was Carol Myers, then I spent most of my time with Linda Eaton.

Not sure who you are as I haven't been able to guess your name. lol
stribe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Old Jerimiah's Reply with quote

I remember well, I used to work for him for nothing so I could ride the horses free, right opposite St Mary's Catholic school and the primary, we used to ride them down to the beach, right down the streets and over the railway bridge then on the beach, it was great fun. the horses loved figs and I used to take them off the treas to give to them, he gave me such a telling off because the horses were getting Colic I was giving them so many. We used to spend nearly all weekends there and loved it. My sister Rhona was into horses ever since still is. I went to see the Beatles with the Griffins, there mum took us into the city, Nora Doreen and me, and George actually looked at me and I nearly fainted, we still talk about it. Remember the old Grandstand across the dreadfull creek, we used to plat in that all the time, and the awful beach we thought was fabulous. Those were the days
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Old Jerimiah's Reply with quote

stribe wrote:
I remember well, I used to work for him for nothing so I could ride the horses free, right opposite St Mary's Catholic school and the primary, we used to ride them down to the beach, right down the streets and over the railway bridge then on the beach, it was great fun. the horses loved figs and I used to take them off the treas to give to them, he gave me such a telling off because the horses were getting Colic I was giving them so many. We used to spend nearly all weekends there and loved it. My sister Rhona was into horses ever since still is. I went to see the Beatles with the Griffins, there mum took us into the city, Nora Doreen and me, and George actually looked at me and I nearly fainted, we still talk about it. Remember the old Grandstand across the dreadfull creek, we used to plat in that all the time, and the awful beach we thought was fabulous. Those were the days

I went to the city to see the Beatle's too, stood outside the Royal Kid's. I'm pretty sure it was Doreen Griffin senior who took me, along with her kids, and I'm pretty sure Carol and Linda Myers, though my memory is a bit hazy.

I sure do remember the old Grandstand, and the creek and beach. lol Such fond memories. Smile

We definitely have to get this reunion organised.
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol Myers here,what great fun we had on that hostel,and as I have said before friends we made just have lasted forever,I cant wait for this reunion I hope you all turn up!!!
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anzac Day next year, at the park outside the Botanic Gardens in Williamstown (opposite the old pavilion, which is now an upmarket restaurant), then we can lob over to the Technopark and reminisce at our leisure. We decided against having the reunion there, on account of there are no toilets, and at 50-60 something, that is no longer an option for us girls!

Stribe, my name was Judith Houston but I was not well known. My family kept to themselves a bit but I was very outgoing and always a wandering stickybeak, that's how I remember so many names. We were only there from March till November 1964. I turned 10 in June, so only knew a handful of the teenagers. I never went on any bus trips apart from the Tarax Show and Video Village. It's great hearing another dimension of life in the hostel as experienced by the older kids. I was the eldest in our family, so didn't see a lot of action. The furthest I ever went was the Club on Wednesday nights.

Fancy being looked at by George Harrison! 45 years later, I am jealous retrospectively!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: