Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confessions Of A Hostel Kid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Confessions Of A Hostel Kid Reply with quote

OK you lot,time to fess up!!!!
We all have something we did when we were kids that we want to confess to..get it off your chest so to speak Laughing Laughing Laughing
Now don't be embarrassed! we were all little buggers,some more than most and that is what I am going to prove right now.

Me I was just perfect BUT I had a big brother and a big sister who were..well should I say,not so!!!
Our Cliff used to go into the laundry rooms and play strip jack naked with the girls,now I am not saying which girls,but I know he did,and he said so on one drunken night in Brisbane when we where all remembering the hostel,I nearly wet my pants laughing,he also used to throw peoples shoes over the wire fences that separated us from the petrol refinery next door.
Does any body remember once ,someone going around the hostel cutting up peoples washing,I remember at the time Doreen Griffin (SNR) telling us all what she would do to those responsible if she found them,well little did she know it was our Linda and their Doreen
laugh I thought that was hilarious,mind you we didn't at the time,as clothes did not come cheap,but our Linda did it because my Dad cut a pair of black leggings of hers that she wore all the time for riding horses,and he was sick of seeing her in them,Doreen Griffin had a pair just like them too.
And she used to get into trouble all the time for fighting,if there was a fight in the playground near the nursery,you could almost guarantee Linda was one of the ones fighting.
So there you go I have started the ball rolling,doing what little sisters do and dobbing in my older siblings
Oh and Linda if that does not bring you on to this forum nothing will!!!

I forgot how good that actually feels Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
stribe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can always remember pinching the school hat off other students on the bus who didnt go to the Hostel, lived up the road in Altona and throwing there hat out the bus window, I used to get in trouble and the headmistress of Willi High Miss Mason would send letters home to my mum and I would intercept and tear them up, also pinched bikes to ride to willi beach and buy fish and chips, always took them back to school when we had finished with them.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty well behaved back then too, but I do remember having a couple of full on fights, one with Nora Griffin who I was scared shitless of. I had managed to avoid her for quite a while, but she caught me while I was cleaning out dad's car one day, and the fight was on. She had me pinned inside the car and was belting the hell out of me when I managed to grab the little hand brush I'd been using and hit her over the head with it. It obviously hurt and she left me alone after that, but I got into trouble for breaking the brush. lol

Another time I was fighting with Linda Eaton and she started hitting me while we were in the ironing room. I was getting the better of her, then she put her fingers in my mouth, probably to try and pull it open to hurt me. Big mistake as I bit her. That was the end of the physical fight, but rooms were back to back and when she got inside her house she was hurling insults at me through the wall. I was sweeping the floor with yet another broom and threw it javelin like at the wall and the walls were so thin it went straight through. Linda then kicked her side of the wall, putting her foot right through..........I got into trouble for causing the holes in the wall.

So, my two forays into fighting got me into trouble, and I didn't do it again, using my tongue instead with much better results. lol
eileen eileen has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well on the subject of fighting. Although your Janet was my best friend we had many fights. i think often of the time when we were fighting and Janet hit me then ran as fast as she could, i thought you wont get away with this and chased after her, she ran in your house and cheeky me ran in after her smacked her one, then ran out as fast as i could so Olwen wouldn't chase after me. those where the day's.
stribe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

god you girls were rough. how did I avoid getting bashed by you, just lucky I guess
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahaha, I remember that Eileen. That was really typical of Janet back then. Great kid, but she had a temper. hehe

It's only natural for kids to fight, and when you are in such close and constant proximity as we were on the hostel, these fights were bound to escalate. I'm amazed that there weren't far more than there actually was. Testament to the fun we were having I guess, that and the fact that we had no other family there, so the other hostelites became our surrogate family.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: