Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Berkeley East soccer club

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Berkeley Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Berkeley East soccer club Reply with quote

Anyone play soccer for the Berkeley East soccer club?

Smile

Len

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself and my brother Shaun used to play soccer with Berkeley East. 1968 ish.

Smile
Fergie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Fergie Reply with quote

Sport is a mystery to me, but ...
There is a football field at Berkeley, called Wollongong United.
The Berkeley Sports and Social Club hoped to make Berkeley into a Centre of Excellence in Sport, and run a lot of sporting activities.
The WCC has a draft plan for Fred Finch Park where there is a stadium and netball courts.
A skate ramp of grand proportions is planned, but a venue has not yet been chosen. Berkeley, Warrawong, Warilla and Primbee have all been mooted. [No on wants it in their backyard!]
Fergie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Football in Berkeley Reply with quote

As well as Wollonong United [started by the Macedonian Community, and the ground is called Macedonia Park], football is also played at the Berkeley Sports and Social Club, and on Berkeley Park bounded by Burke Way between Northcliffe Dr and Barnes St.

I just talked to Henry Lewiston who was manager of the B S & S Club until his retirement. He said Berkeley East Soccer Team was a great team in the 1970's.

Prior to WIN Entertainment Centre being built, the B S & S Club did a feasibility study for one at Berkeley near the Club. Berkeley being the 'centre' of Wollongong [with the bulk of the population in southern suburbs] trains could discharge passengers at Kembla Grange and buses could run them to the Ent Centre for big events, there are regular buses between Wollongong and Warrawong via Berkeley and Dapto to Warrawong via Berkeley.

But it was not to be. WIN Stadium was built at the bottom end of Crown St next to the existing football field, with virtually NO PARKING. Now it needs a new western grandstand, the Hawks Basketball team is no more,
so the question is - do they spend millions on a new grandstand? while patrons are receiving parking fines.

It's a no brainer.

By the way, Wollongong City Council was subject to an ICAC enquiry, corruption was uncovered, the mayor and all councillors were sacked, and 3 Administrators are running CC until 2012.
Mick Atkin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Len, from the pennant displayed it appears you were in the under 13 team in 1969. I think Bill and Philis Knight were some of those parents dedicated to Junior soccer at the time.
In 1969 I joined the senior Berkeley Soccer Club that comprised mainly of ex hostel kids. Names such as Wally and Ian Tidswell, Jimmy and Derek Black, Tommy Mc Curry, Dave Bolton, Robert Glen and John Mc Garva were but a few graduates from the kids junior hostel teams. That year under player coach Eddie Mullan, Berkeley Soccer Club won the second division and got promoted to district premier league.
Danny Bentley and myself were ring ins from Balgownie Hostel but were proud to wear the green and white of Berkeley.
I recall we all joined the Berkeley Sports and Social Club which at that time was applying for a licence. The 'Clubhouse' was a shop in the centre of Berkeley.
By the way, the local band 'The Tornado's' played their first ever gig at old Berkeley hostel canteen in about 1964/5. They are still to be seen doing gigs in the area.
Len

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Mick. I honestly can�t remember who our trainer was but we did a lot of our soccer training/ practice at the Berkeley hostel site. All/ most of the Hostels huts had gone by this time, apart from one (beside the soccer pitch), which was used to store all the sporting equipment. The Hostels soccer pitch was more or less close to the base of Berkeley road, which ran up and over to Five Islands Road/ Unanderra Hostel.

I�ve got to say mick. I was never a good soccer player. In all the time I played (2/ 3 years), I think I only ever scored one goal, and that was nothing technically to do with me. Someone kicked the ball and I was stood in the way and it bounced off me and went in. grins laugh
Steven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one.
I believe Andrew Shannon is one of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Berkeley Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: