Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Time at East Hills

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janine Smith nee Sedgwick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: My Time at East Hills Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Janine Sedgwick and I migrated to Australia from England with my partents in July 1968, we spent the first 8 weeks at Fairy Meadow in a nissan hut but then moved to East Hills as my dad got a job at the steel works and hated it, when we arrived at East Hills we were in a brick flat for 12 months but had to go back to the nissan hut as 12 months was the max., we were on the hostel for 15 months in total. I was 15 and the eldest of four.
I remember Mr Hobbs running the hostel and his 3 sons, there was a guy called Jed who was either a gardener or maintenance man, there was a Scottish man we called Skip who used to run the youth hostel. I loved my time on the hostel, we were like one big family and there were lots of kids my age and we all used to hang out together and eat in the canteen together.
I think the best story of all is that is where I met my husband George Smith, he had also come from England with his parents, we married in 1970 and we will celebrate our 39th anniversary next month. We also met our best friends there Bridie Montgomery and Willie Byrne who also married at the same time. We often reminisce about those hostel days.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janine,
Nice you remember my late husband Tony Hobbs who sadly died in 1979 and my three sons ,Allan my son,also died at age 42yrs in 1998,something I have never recovered fully from.
Glad you enjoyed your friends on the hostel and the bonus of meeting your husband Cool Happy Anniversary

I also remember "Skip" well ,though have never been able to track he and his wife ,down in the last 25 years at least.His name was John Shea if he ever reads this site ,he may join it.
Certainly Pelley was a youth Leader (Skip)and he is a member.
Anyway hope you enjoy this great site Len has made for us. Smile
Janine Smith nee Sedgwick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phyl,
Thanks for your reply and so sorry to hear about your husband and son.

I remember skips wife was called Sadie if that helps, I enyoyed reading all the posts on this web site and thank whoever started it.
regards Janine
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Janine her name was Sadie We had quite a lot to do with her .She was a very sweet person. Would love to know what they are doing now and where they are.

Thankyou so much for your sympathy
Len

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janine welcome to our forums and as Phyl says..... Happy anniversary for next month. thumbsup

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: