Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bonagilla

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jennys39

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Bonagilla Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I'm a brand new member and I don't even know how I stumbled onto this site. But it's very interesting so far.
I arrived in Melbourne, January 1959 on the Waterman, it's last trip to Aus. We were then sent to Bonagilla. Does anyone else have memories of that place? and/or during that time.
Love to hear from anyone
Len

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jenny welcome to our forums. So glad you stumbled across us. wave

Smile
Bill Ashton

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bonagilla Reply with quote

jennys39 wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'm a brand new member and I don't even know how I stumbled onto this site. But it's very interesting so far.
I arrived in Melbourne, January 1959 on the Waterman, it's last trip to Aus. We were then sent to Bonagilla. Does anyone else have memories of that place? and/or during that time.
Love to hear from anyone

Hi jenny, Bonagilla became the Army School of Catering and school of survay after it was a hostel. I was posted there in the mid 70's.
But i called in about 12 months ago to find most of it pulled down now. there is a displey there and a few of the buildings that have been left for people to see.
It was a great area to live i loved it there, but now its slowly getting built in like most up and comeing places. Regards Bill
Migrated to Aus in 67. Mum Dad and 5 kids.We lived on 9 block when we lived there. Dad cooked in the kitchings there for some years. I think he was the union rep there too.his name was George and mums name Nancy.
jennys39

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Thanks for that.
You must be from English background? We had a terrible time there. Not English speaking. Left Holland mid winter (snowing when we left) and arrived in Albury during their hottest summer in 42 years.
Thank heaven for the lake.
Regards
Jenny
Bill Ashton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Jenny, Yes im english . I was 9 years old when i left England and i turned 10 on the ship. I remember heaps about our trip out here. Sea sick though the bay a biskay. The trip down the Sues was fantastic and we stopped of at port side and Haden. Perth and Adilade it was to rough to stop at melburn. The morning we came through Sydney heads was unbeliveble. Thay but us up at Bunerwong hostel just out side of the citey. School was sill out for the christmas holidays so we kids had another holiday be for starting school. them were thay days alright.
Contact you again soon regards Bill
Migrated to Aus in 67. Mum Dad and 5 kids.We lived on 9 block when we lived there. Dad cooked in the kitchings there for some years. I think he was the union rep there too.his name was George and mums name Nancy.
JoeVan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi my name is joe van der horst i arrived in bonagilla in july 1954 we came to australia on the sibajak from rotterdam to melbourne .after we disembarkt we where on the trainto camp bonnagilla.after a 3week stay we where send to orange n.s.w.i got ajob with westing house appliance factory it lasted 5or 6 weeks and we moved fairy maedow balgownie hostelafter astunt at the fertilizer and the steelmill all located in portkemblai was introduced to mr kelly hi whas the big bass at balgonie hostelmr kelley send kees gouweleeuw and myself to commenwealth cook school in sidney after that i cooked in the kitchen until iwent back to holland on august 13 1957ienjoyed my time in australia and one thing a mustsay they looked verry well after niew arriving emigrants and i also apploud your prime minister for speaking his mind god bless you all
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: