Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Berkeley Hostel 1956

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Berkeley Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
win

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Berkeley Hostel 1956 Reply with quote

Hi - I'm new to your forumT.
December 2006 will mark the 50th anniversary of my family's migration to Berkeley Hostel (Mum,Dad, 3 brothers and me). We arrived at Berkeley Hostel 1956 and left November 1959 for a housing commission house in Berkeley. Dad worked as a Turner at AIS and we went to school in Wollongong until Berkely HS was built. I'm in the process of putting together memories of that time (before it's too late).
We came out on the Otranto the first ship to go via Cape Town because of the Suez Crisis. Interested in photos, info, etc.
Win
Len

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi win
Welcome to the forums, as you can see we are extremely over populated here at the forums but I think we can squeeze a few more in. Also you will find that the top two posters have been Roy and I. we are doing so well. hehe

Good luck with your project as I know it isn?t easy gathering information, photos and memories etc but at the end, it will be well worth your trouble. Hopefully one day these forums may become a good source for information.

Our family migrated to Australia 1967 on the SS Australis and travelled through the Suez Canal and on our homeward voyage we passed through the Panama Canal.

I did a quick search on the Otranto and came up with this link, it?s a website about the Otranto. I haven?t had time to take a proper look just yet,,but I will.
I wonder if you have seen this site already? Just click on the link below.

http://www.pnc.com.au/~byceme/otranto/OTRANTO.htm

Roy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a long walk over the hill to BerkeleyHostel for a dance but once in a while it was worth it.
jennifer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY FAMILY (DAD,MUM THREE BROTHERS AND A SISTER)ARRIVED IN 1954...A BIT BEFORE THE PERIOD YOU ARE ASKING ABOUT. BUT I HAVE SOME PHOTOS OF THE HOSTEL AND THE LAKE ETC...MY FATHER AND A MATE SET UP THE FIRST FOOTBALL (SOCCER ) FIELD AT THE HOSTEL. IF ANY ONE REMEMBERS THE GALLACHERS..THATS US!!
Len

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jennifer

Welcome to the forums.

I?m afraid thats way before my time. I was only born in 1957. I bet the Nissan/ igloo huts were near enough still brand new when your family arrived. I remember the soccer field, if it?s the same one from 1968/69 because as a wee lad I played for Berkeley East Soccer club and we trained there.

Would be fantastic to see your photos. If you e-mail them to me I shall add your name to them and if needed clean them up a bit and up load them here for all to see.
If I can collect enough photos from others that once stayed at Berkeley hostel then I may even put them on a separate page on my Unanderra Hostel Memories website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Berkeley Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: