Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bunnerong Hostel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bunnerong Hostel:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Bunnerong Hostel Reply with quote

This clipping has been kindly shared with us by Phyl.

Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Len ,it came up well. Hope you are really well again now. I know what that is like,have had a few.. Sad
JoopMul JoopMul has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only ever saw it from Bunnerong Road. So never this insiders' view.
Can't get over how well-dressed everyone was. (I noticed the same in our own photos taken at the other hostel, where we, the non-British were. Ties and suits etc, to go to the dining room.)
Am sort-of amused at the spin that was given to the whole situation, in those years, particularly by the authorities, via the media.

A few years ago, driving past, the now park, it was such a surprise to see it all gone, as though it had never been there.
I used to walk so regularly from our house, in the Flint Street, along Fitzgerald Ave, with a towel over my shoulder, to Maroubra Beach.
And along Walsh Ave, to Maroubra Junction (and Bob Potters Dance Studio.)
In Donovan Ave, I had piano accordion lessons, from Mrs Brandman.

Jo

P.S. I used: http://www.whereis.com.au to look for Fitzgerald Ave, and got this map.

P.P.S.

[/img]
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jo,
I have not lived at Bunnerong Hostel but have lived at Matraville and I think the people at Matraville were great. Actually in the staff photo on the left hand far side looks like Ernst Hufnagl.
We were there in 1959.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. You have brought back a name that I do remember.
Even though I knew/know it was a German name, it had gone into my memory as Hoefnagel (Dutch spelling) as I'd often heard it pronounced. (hoofnahgle). :)
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, im wondering if anyone can help me I am researching my husband's ancestry, whilst googling his surname, Hufnagl I came across your forum and noticed that his fathers name Ernst Hufnagl was mentioned and was recognised in a staff photo at Bunnerong Migrant Hostel, if anyone has any photos or stories to share i would love to hear from you.

Regard
Kelly.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Kelly.

I must check with Mrs Gerda van Hoorn. She (and her husband and daughter) returned to the Netherlands in 1968 but we often talk to each other, using Skype, via the computer.

While we were living in the migrant hostel, in Pozieres Ave, my mother and Gerda worked in the kitchen and dining room of that hostel and THAT's where I've heard the name Hufnagl, I am pretty sure.

It is possible of course that your father-in-law worked in the hostel, which was in Bunnerong Road. That hostel was for British migrants.

It seems too much of a coincidence that I recognise the name, although we lived in the hostel, in Pozieres Ave, which was for the non-British immigrants.

As I have explained elsewhere..... (I tell these stories so often and in so many places on the internet, I lose track.....) my parents and the van Hoorns bought a house in Flint Street, Matraville together, when we decided to stay in Australia and wanted to leave the (Pozieres Ave) hostel.

Flint Street was straight opposite Bunnerong Hostel. So if we left our house and went up our street, if we did not turn left or right into Bunnerong Road, butcrossed over, we'd be entering the (British) hostel.

Jo(op)

P.S.. I must not confuse things and should check with Gerda first, but I have a vague feeling that my mother and Gerda, worked in the kitchen with Mrs !!!!!(Frau) Hufnagl.

Kelly wrote:
Hi Everyone, im wondering if anyone can help me I am researching my husband's ancestry, whilst googling his surname, Hufnagl I came across your forum and noticed that his fathers name Ernst Hufnagl was mentioned and was recognised in a staff photo at Bunnerong Migrant Hostel, if anyone has any photos or stories to share i would love to hear from you.

Regard
Kelly.

Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Kelly.
Welcome.
Ernst was definitely at Matraville Hostel when my late husband was assitant manager there.His daughter Ursula used to come to our place often,we both loved bringing up birds that had been injured or fallen from the nest so she would come for advice.
She kept in contact for quite a while and I have a photo she sent me when she was a young lady. She apparantly grew up to be one of the top models in the country.She was a really nice girl and her father was always kind to me. I don't remember her mother as I didn't come in contact with her or any other children in the family but I'm sure they would all have been lovely.If you are related to Ernst ,his wife and his daughter please pass on my very best regards. I would love to know how they are. Smile.
chrisnic chrisnic has been starred

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Phyl, my wife knew Ursula Hufnagl, who was a top model in the '60's and now has her own agency: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/fashion/maternal-mind-of-a-model-agent-20090424-ai1i.html
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris thankyou so much for that site I have been into it and read it all .It is so nice to know the little girl in 1959,eleven years old ,at the time has done so well ,and with such high principles.And feel privileged to have the lovely photo she sent me. .Is the Agency in Sydney?
So thankyou. Does your wife ever see her ?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all happening (at the same time)! I've just received a response, via email, from Gerda van Hoorn, now back in the Ntherlands, who is in the photo that I'd uploaded of the kitchen/diningroom staff too. (My mother worked there too.)
Gerda also mentioned the very successful daughter and you would have to KNOW Gerda to to perhaps understand what I am trying to say:
She was MOST impressed with good-looking Ernst Hufnagl! Calls him our chef in her reply.
Obviously a well-liked and attractive man (to Gerda, who was then in her very early twenties and very impressed).
The reason I am sticking my nose into this discussion is the statement: ..."and was recognised in a staff photo at Bunnerong Migrant Hostel,".....

Not correct. He worked with my mother, Gerda and the others in the hostel in Pozieres Ave, Matraville, which was for non-British migrants and, as far as I know, not as well in the hostel on Bunnerong Road, 2 or 3 kms, away, opposite Flint Street, where we later lived.

Jo(op) Mul(holland).

My first day, off to high school. Outside Matraville Hostel.

Me serenading Gerda's daughter, Netty, in one of the rooms, in Matraville Hostel.

Me, outside our house, in Flint Street, Matraville (Now Hillsdale.)

The hostel, in Pozieres Ave, Matraville.

Gerda, third from the left, in the kitchen, in Matraville Hostel.

My mother (Co Mul) and friend, Gerda van Hoorn, sitting outside the diningroom, in Matraville Hostel.

[/img]
chrisnic chrisnic has been starred

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phyl
I'm pretty sure the agency is in Sydney, it's called Chic Management, and they have a website. My wife worked with Ursula before her modelling career took off, just after leaving school. In the 60's and '70's you saw her face everywhere - TV, magazines, billboards. My wife hasn't had contact for many years, but has always said that she was a lovely person on the inside, as well as outside.
All the best
Chris

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisnic wrote:
Hi Phyl
My wife worked with Ursula before her modelling career took off, just after leaving school. In the 60's and '70's you saw her face everywhere - TV, magazines, billboards.

Yes. Gerda too mentioned how well Ursula did and referred me to a friend, currently visiting Australia again, from the same age group and the same hostel, who would be able to confirm this.
Pity I cannot supply more specific details.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Jo think you misunderestood and thought that I was talking about Bunnerong but the photo I was talking about was Ernst in a Matraville photo you posted. That is where I knew Ernst and Ursula when my husband was assistant manager at Matraville hostel.That was in 1959....Sorry if I confused you cry
Beanpiece

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bunnerong Hostel Reply with quote

Len wrote:
This clipping has been kindly shared with us by Phyl.

Seeing this picture has transported me back 50years wow what an emotional rush.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bunnerong Hostel: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: