Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

#1 Photos shared by eileen : Altona Hostel 1965
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oceania

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Denis My name is Andy and I came in 63 the dining hall was in the hostel proper but I can remember reading a wethered sign painted on the wall under the grandstand that said dining room the toilet block had been demolished by then but the concrete slab was still there and you could see where the pans had been fitted and the pipes for the sinks. The tote building was just an empty shell I believe that side of the creek was abandoned as it used to flood alot when there was a king tide. Did it ever flood when you where there? Also I have seen photos going back to the 2nd world war of the grandstand and it was used as a fuel stockpile, with drums stacked 3 high all along the wall facing the creek and even more drums in front of the stand in the forecourt area. you could still see parts of the running rail going back to when they used it for horse racing the reason it was built. I even uncovered some of the rail partly buried when we used to go looking for snakes and lizards under bits of tin all over that area, silly buggers we where back then and did not know the meaning of danger. Regards Andy
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And he I was thinking that the old grandstand was just an empty shell. I obviously didn't look hard enough. lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: