Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heathcote Road Hostel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heather V

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Heathcote Road Hostel Reply with quote

I stayed with my sister and parents at Heathcote Road Hostel from September 1958 til early 1960. Went to Hammondville Primary and then Liverpool Girls High for a couple of months. We moved to Stanwell Tops and I went to Heathcote High after that.
My father worked at Lucas Heights, but my mother worked at the hostel, mostly in the canteen. I used to like it when she was serving the meals, as she wore this cute white uniform - they must have worn something else when they were washing floors etc.
The first night we arrived (Orontes) my mother cried herself to sleep. She'd had 4 weeks of living it up, only to arrive in these two rooms, with single beds, surrounded by red dirt.
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Heather,yes it is a bit of a come down from the luxury of an ocean liner to the bare neccessities of a migrant hostel!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: