Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Transport Reply with quote

I never thought much about it at the time, but come to think about it now,the hostel was really in the middle of nowhere as far as amenities where concerned,when you wanted to catch a train it was up to the hick station at Mobiletown,you could stick that into a Movie starring Jason from Friday 13th and it would not look out of place,and when a train did eventually come,it was one of those red rattlers that you had to stick your hand out of the window to open the door as there were no handles on the inside Shocked
Or you could catch the bus to Williamstown on the other side of Kororoit Creek Rd if you wanted to take your chances of seeing a snake,we saw a lot of those on the hostel.It was ok in winter though
Then there was always my Dad's Morris Oxford thumbsup No starter motor for this car,had a crank handle that you pushed into a hole at the front and cranked the motor till it started ( bugger that for a joke )and it used to stall at the drop of a hat.
My Dad was a bus driver in England and apart from the fact that he went under a low bridge with a double decker bus and ripped the top of it,he was somewhat of a good driver,but when he came to get his Australian drivers license he was stumped when he had to name the intersections in the city where you had to do a hook turn..OMG I thought he was going to bust a blood vessel,but he ended up getting it and so we went on a lot of outings,we used to go to Lara a lot,they had a great swimming complex down there at that time and we went to Geelong a lot too,I dont think I have been to either of those 2 places since we moved to the South East.
We actually used to hitch hike to williamstown beach on hot days..I cant believe we actually did that I am sure if our parents knew they would have killed us!!
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad's car was called a Holden Special and was blue with a vinyl top. I still remember its number-GVF 014. The vinyl inside stunk to high heaven on the hot days and made us feel crook. Our outings mostly alternated between the You Yangs and Sherbrooke forest, where we'd gather wood and have a barbecue. Sometimes we'd go visit a family in Port Melbourne that Dad had known from his voyages in the Merchant navy.

And will you ever forget the old ferry between Williamstown and Fisherman's Bend? No Westgate bridge in those days- it fitted maybe 5 cars and we often missed out and were stuck there till its return.

Last edited by aussietrekker on Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
flyingscotsman danny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Transport Reply with quote

Hi Carol, I thought your dad had a Ford customline. Because your dad, my dad and Len WELLER, travelled to Queensland and back in a Ford Customline they were gone for around 8 weeks. The reason for the trip was to check out the job situation, that*s why we then went to Queensland. But for us it did*nt work out nor for your family, as you also came back to the hostel. We were then housed further back and the FINDLAY*s were then our next door neighbours. Carol, when your family returned where did they put your family? Regards Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he did have a Ford Customline,he bought that later on though it was a big green bugger.You have a good memory Danny! Whwn we came back we stayed at your house in Laverton for a couple of weeks then we moved to Sunshine,then St Albans then Dandenong ( UGH)
stribe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about cars, we had an old Mayflower and we pushed it more than we rode in it, one day I swear we pushed it almost all the way to Geelongs Eastern Beach, we even had to crank it with a handle, so funny now
flyingscotsman danny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Transport Reply with quote

I have returned, hello again Carol.The way I remember the situation, we didnt leave the hostel until March or there abouts of 1966 and as all the McKeeman kids went to school there would*nt have been room to put your family of 5 at our house in Laverton. As you said, I do have a good memory . But I*m unable to remember this. Are you sure it was with our family? Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the reference in the first post to Jason from Friday the 13th.
He's coming to Melbourne to a sci-fi convention on March 20, I shall be there to see the other two guests. Just a piece of random useless information. Razz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Transport Reply with quote

flyingscotsman danny wrote:
I have returned, hello again Carol.The way I remember the situation, we didnt leave the hostel until March or there abouts of 1966 and as all the McKeeman kids went to school there would*nt have been room to put your family of 5 at our house in Laverton. As you said, I do have a good memory . But I*m unable to remember this. Are you sure it was with our family? Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised

Yes Danny absolutely sure,but it was just me and my Mum,Linda stayed with the Hermits in Newport and my Dad and Cliff were in some digs in Spotswood or somewhere like that,it was a rough couple of weeks,but I remember it well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: