Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midway Hostel in the 60s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Midway Hostel in the 60s Reply with quote

I was about to turn 5 when my family (mother, father and sister) arrived at the Midway hostel in April 1964 off the Castel Felice migrant boat from Swansea Wales. We lived at the hostel for two years until 1966, moved to a house in West Footscray for a year then to New Zealand where I live with my own family today. I'm currently writing my autobiography and am researching this period of my life. I had no idea how big this 10 pound poms migration was!

Plenty of memories including seeing the Beatles drive past us in Melbourne - they'd just arrived for their tour. I recall twist competitions for the kids, rounding up lizzards at the camp with the older boys, and bad jelly at the cafeteria (with a skin on it).
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A group of us from our hostel (Altona, AKA Williamstown & Wiltona) also went to watch the arrival of The Beatles. We stood just outside the Royal Children's Hospital after travelling in by train and tram.
Philk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Migrants and their schools Reply with quote

I went to Seaholme State School (now Seaholme Primary) in 1965, when I was living at Marybrnong Hostel. I was just a frrst grader. Does anyone else recall going to this school in 1965 from a hostel on a hostel school bus? Thanks, Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: