Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oibert says hello. Maribrynong migrant hostel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oibert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: oibert says hello. Maribrynong migrant hostel Reply with quote

hi everyone
I am so surprised i have missed this site in my years of web surfing, i must be getting too old.
My story started in 1962 when my mother, stepfather and i left yorkshire and boarded a Qantas jet bound for of all places Darwin. Yes we were 10 pound poms but were lucky enough to fly out here. Once in australia we were flown then sent by train then by bus to Maribrynong migrant hostel.Our culture shock was immediate and intense,but was soon overtaken by my incredible homesickness. The fact that i had left my first girlfriend behind was cause for me to give my parents what must have been immense grief for some six months or so.
we had arrived in early november and by june the following year had moved out of the stalag and onto an incredible place just outside of Bendigo which turned out to be a hereford cattle and merino sheep stud where i learned the value of an honest days work. To my disappointment less than twelve months later we moved back to Melbourne, Maidstone in fact where we lived for the next couple of years.I now reside in sunny Queensland where i intend to retire to after a trip back to england .
I have never been back there but the new street view sites allow a little reminiscing now and then.
hope to chat soon, regards oibert.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Oibert.
I arrived in Australia in June '63, originally bound for Tasmania but having to land and stay in Melbourne as there were no migrant hostels in Tassie. We were sent to Altona Hostel whee we stayed until September 1965 when we got a house in Braybrook.

I still live in Melbourne, but several friends from the hostel now reside in Queensland. We will be having a reunion in Melbourne in April.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason my post was entered twice, so had to edit this one. lol Please just ignore it. Very Happy
oibert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi susan
thank you for the welcome, altona brings back a few memories i used to cycle from maidstone to altona on the weekends to go swimming off the pier, i was always amazed how warm the water was compared to the uk it was like having a warm bath.I did not realise there was a hostel there . I see we both arrived about the same era, i was only 13 when we arrived so everything seemed so alien to me and getting used to the funny accent was rather difficult, i cant get over how i can remember the hostel so clearly even though we were only there for six months or so.
the reunion sounds as though it will be fun i wonder if maribrynong ever had one?
regards oibert.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if Maribyrnong had a reunion. I haven't seen anyone else from Maribyrnong on the forums either. Len might know if there are others from that hostel on here.

I was 12 when we arrived in Australia and remember lots about the hostel, but realise, after talking to others who were there at the same time, that I have also forgotten lots. I do remember playing netball against the other hostels, and the lads playing football (soccer).
oibert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi susan
I did find some members that were at maribrynong but there hasnt been any discussions for some time by the looks of it.It is in other hostels,but i have been very impressed by the content here the different stories and experiences take me back and as you say i have also forgotten a lot. I also can remember playing sport at the hostel(not organized games) most of the time it was soccer but i wasn't very good which is why i took up cycling as a sport eventually. Anyway have a good time at the reunion. chat soon.
regards oibert.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: