Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swimming in the Creek:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Unanderra Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Swimming in the Creek: Reply with quote

On a couple of occasions 'as kids do' we went swimming in a creek.
The thing is, it wasn't Allan's Creek as that was black, dirty and smelly. We went somewhere in Unanderra. It might have been Allan's creek but I dont think so.

There would be a group of us and we would walk along Five Islands Road towards Unanderra. We would then crossed the main road which ran from Berkeley towards figtree and then follow a country road which lead us to where a railway bridge crossed a creek and below the bridge was a rather large area where you could go swimming, and we did. The water was clean 'I think' and also deep in places, some of the group used to jump off the bribge into the creek but I didn't because I was to scared too. hehe

I seem to remember that you could also get to the bridge/ creek by following the railway lines that ran parallel with Five Islands Road opposite the Hostel but I'm not sure.

Does anyone remember going swimming there?
What is the name of the creek?
Do people still go swimming there today?
Roy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the creek Len there was a little waterfall as well . I was a fair old walk in mid summer wasnt it. Remember the huge dragon flies whizzing around like Harrier jump jets.
Len

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember the dragon flies but I remember someone suggesting that there were water snakes lurking :unsure: and that didn't help my enthusiasm into going swimming there. hehe
Roy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that about the snakes as well Len and it had the same effect on me as it did you but I never saw any. Remember the bloody flies?
Len

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only ever time I saw a wild snake was when Myself my brother and my dad was walking over to Berkeley Hostel along Berkeley Road off Five Islands Road because at that time we were members of the Berkeley Judo Club and the club was first located at Berkeley Hostel.
We were starting to ascend the hill along Berkeley road when we saw what looked like a push bikes inner tube lying in the road. My brother ran over to it with the intensions of picking it up but as he was about to grab hold of it, unexpectedly the thing slithered off the road and into the grass followed by shouts from my dad saying get away, leave it alone. Hehe
It was a black snake I believe. And as for flies around that area, I think I must have eaten more than my fair share. I can't think of anything worse than breathing in a fly through your nose.
Arthur Radford

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely you were on the road that goes up to Mt Kembla village and Coal mine. It follows the valley up as does a private railway which brings down the coal. The road and railway are still there but there are a lot more houses around the area today. There is an swimming pool at Unanderra so people are more likely to swim there these days.
The snake that you mention would be a red bellied black snake which are common around the area. While they can kill if you are bitten they are very timid and will get away if they can. If you get bitten there are anti-venom these days so they are not as dangerous. Not many people get out in the bush to see them either.
Len

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the impression at the time that the secret swimming location was a popular place amongst kids. Now I don�t know how the kids on the hostel discovered that location as it did seem to be a bit off the beaten track and far away. But then again, kids are kids and maybe it was discovered while on a walk about. I wonder if the local kids used to go there, or had they more sense. Mr. Green

Smile
acram

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a local having grown up in Unanderra and the pool you are referring too was called I believe, the waterfall. In those days everyone knew about it, but a lot of us were not allowed to go. our parents also knew about it and considered it dangerous in several ways,
Firstly it had a reputation for drug users and it was also the local make out spot, and they knew we would be jumping off the railway bridge, not that it was dangerous, rather they fear we would get hit by a train which regularly used the line.
I personally used to use Mars pool, it was a large section of a creek which was enlarged by erosion and is located directly across the playing field at the now BHP stadium at Unanderra.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a red bellied black snake at Berkeley Hostel. You can read the post at the Berkeley Hostel site.Sort of sad. cry

We had a Dr. Cram at Cabramatta . Any relation?

Anyone remember Dr D'Souza He was a good Dr.
Mick Atkin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: swimming hole Reply with quote

I remember this swimming hole well. On several occasions in the late 50's Balgownie (Fairy Meadow) hostel 'skip' Dick Townsend took groups of us kids on a bus trip to Unanderra. We alighted at the intersection of Princes Hwy and Cordeaux Rd then commenced the hike up Cordeaux Rd to the Mt Kembla village and beyond.
Near what is now the intersection of Cordeaux Rd and Booreea Bvd, the pristine water hole - water fall adjacent to the private BHP rail line was a favourite cooling off spot for weary migrant kids. The name is American creek and it is fondly remembered by many from the Balgownie hostel tribe.
A couple of years ago I took my wife there to show her my favourite childhood swimming spot. Sadly, it had degenerated into an overgrown polluted cesspool.
Len

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi acram, thanks for your joining us. I must admit, if our parents knew that we were messing around near railway lines then I�ve no doubt that they would be none to pleased but in the eyes and mind of an 11 year old the site looked safe and sound. Mr. Green There were older kids with us but I don�t know of what age.

At the time of our visits, I don�t recall ever seeing any trains on that particular track but we were aware that there could be and I don�t think we stayed all that long. We spent more time walking to the site than what we did when we got there. The whole excursion was the fun bit.

Thanks for putting a name to the creek Mick. Seems that the swimming spot had been used for many years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Unanderra Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: