Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bunnerong and missing cars.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bunnerong Hostel:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laurie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Bunnerong and missing cars. Reply with quote

I can laugh at it now but at the time I was really cheesed off. When we first arrived at Cabramatta we never unpacked all our trunks,so all my toys were safe and sound. However when we moved to Bunnerong everything was basically unpacked and ready for the long haul. Now although we did'nt have much when we left England I was lucky enough to have gotten a large amount of matchbox cars,plus tin ones from an older cousin. But the pride of my collection was a boxed set of Jaguar cars, 1950 to 1959. Now I found out in later years that my old man had knicked the box set from where he worked prior to our departure. However ignorance is bliss and I loved those cars. My little brother was a shy and at the time a very sick little boy. (measles on the trip over) He was only three and after I went to school he would be packed off to the playground sandpit for the morning. Evidently some of the other kids used to bully him and would'nt let him play, so being a smart lad he started delving into my now available toy stash. In the space of a week he had given the entire collection to the sandpit standover crew and became a very popular wee lad.

To this day I still don't let him forget it and when I see the prices being asked for some of these toy cars today one just wants to spit.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaawwwww !!!!!!! sad story Laurie. cry cry I think the saddest though was the loss of faith in you Dad Sad
Laurie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Bunnerong cars Reply with quote

Thanks Phyl. yes my faith was lost in my Dad a long time ago. But after reaching this stage of my life I can understand him. I joke when people say what did your folks do, I'd say they were in the Iron and Steel business,mum would iron and Dad would steal. ha ha.
Len

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its surprising, toys like that would be very collectable these days considering how inexpensive they would have been at the time of purchase. Mr. Green But then again, bet most folks were probaly skint.

Anyways Laurie, maybe someone was watching and so decided that you were not to profit from them. wink Smile
I wonder how many people emigrated, and conveniently forgot to pay a particular bill etc before they departed. grins
Laurie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: bUNNERONG Reply with quote

You're right there Len, Karma is a bitch. I actually saw similar boxed cars from that era 20 years ago and they were fetching $50 and upwards a piece. Know what you mean about people not paying. It was'nt that we were skint it was just that church mice would leave us food parcels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bunnerong Hostel: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: