Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wacol Hostel..Queensland
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Wacol Hostel..Queensland Reply with quote

Anybody here been to this one ??we lived on this hostel for about 8 months when we first left Victoria to live in QLD,it is situated between Brisbane and Ipswich in a place called Wacol which is near Goodna,there was a military base opposite,and not much more really,had some good times there though,I was a little older than I was on Altona Hostel,and is was about the time when most of the boys on the hostel formed bands,some of them went on to be very good,one of the bands to come out of Wacol was the Chelsea Set,anybody heard of them,they made a bit of a name for themselves after they left Brisbane and went to Melbourne.
timeseller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Stormfour,

Glad to know someone still remembers that we weren't bad for a bunch of beginners.

If you were there, then you know that Wacol Migrant Camp, like other camps, was about as stimulating as a box full of hair. You had to entertain yourself or go insane. I mean, the 60's were happening over in the place we'd just left. Cruel trick.

The music of Australia in the sixties and early seventies is the story of shiploads of teenagers with new music and new styles been unloaded into disused WW2 refugee/army/pow camps in the middle of nowhere. Form a band or die.

A lot of well known bands came out of that 60's/70's migrant thing. Easybeats , Bee Gees, Twilights, AC DC, Little River Band, Farnham, Barnes etc.
A lot of lesser known as well. We were one of them.

Chelsea Set formed in 1964 after Ray Petrie ( Lead Vocals-Scotland ) came round one day while I was practicing and asked if I knew any Stones songs.
I played " Not Fade Away " and " Route 66 "- and he starts jigging around like Jagger. I was chuffed.
We worked on a few more songs. Had a laugh. Ray says " Let's form a band ".
I knew a couple of blokes that practiced in the 'Rec. Hall' on the camp so it pretty well grew from there.

It sort of had it's own momentum and before you knew it we were playing flat out all over the place - Red Orb, St. George Club, DB's, The Scene, Bowl etc. And all the time either practicing or playing on the camp.
Then the band went to Melbourne - "The Catcher" era. The band worked hard but I think Ray Petrie's mind was elsewhere.

After the band broke up Ray Petrie went to London dropped the (e) of his name to become "the" Ray Petri, iconic fashion and photography stylist of " The Face ", the man who discovered a 15 year old called Naomi Cambell, mentor to Kate Moss , friend of Versace, Elton, Freddie. He started the whole " Buffalo Movement " style of the London 80's. Tragically he died too young in 1989. They still revere him. I just remember a good mate.

The other members were :- Bill Hillman ( Guitar-England ), Mick Naylor ( Bass-England ), my brother-in-law Tony Keepence ( Drums-England ).
Tony was later replaced by Ray Arnott ( Drums-England ).

Ray Arnott went on to play with Spectrum, Mighty Kong, Jimmy Barnes Band, Ray Arnott's Rude Dudes, The Allstars, Dingo's and Vanda & Young Session Band . Currently he teaches in Northern NSW and I believe he does session work.

Our poor so-called ' manager ' ( he worked in his dad's greengrocers - so he could always get a Kombi ) Stewart Langton ( rich git-England ) didn't do very well at all . He founded " Langton's Wines " the largest wine auction house and valuers in Oz, and also had the very up-market " Langton's " restaurant in Melbourne. Good luck to him, he worked hard for it ....... and I don't envy him at all. Honest.

Bill, I think, still does some kind of Buddy Holly tribute thing around the smaller clubs. And Mick, ..I don't know.

As for me, I still have private jams at least three times a year with a great bunch of regulars , ( the nights at the round table ) and whether it's because of the jokes or the music I don't know, but 90% are british migrants and nearly all of them did time on " The Camp ".

I'll try to figure out how to upload some pics if I can. If anyone else has any - let's see them.

Thanks for getting the neurons flowing again .

Love is Love - Not Fade Away.
Chunka chunka chunk - achunka chunk chunk.

Cheers, ...Den Manning ( Guitar, Vocals - England )

What I really wanted was a screamer... or a moaner.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well well well,I am gobsmacked,my husband just had his 60th birthday,and who should be there but the greeengrocer himself Stu Langton,I contacted Stewart through Langtons wine and asked him if he was the same guy associated with the Chelsea set,he of course replied and as my husband was also one of the former members of the group.."Mick Naylor" Stewart came along and the two of them never shut up all night.Bill Hillman also contacted Mick and Bill and myself have been communicating since on facebook,he is a riot,he is busy at the moment with the Australian Buddy Holly Show and you can see that if you go on UTube..facinating stuff really.
Yes I saw the presentation about Ray Petrie (Petri) that was done for Face,quite a story there,and also Nenah Cherry when she recorded Buffalo Stance said it was a tribute to Ray,Mick was devastated when he found out that he had died,and also Ray Arnott passed away last year,Stewart was looking into the story of that one,hasnt got back to us re that yet.I have hundreds of photos of the Chelsea Set that Bill sent,his Dad was a photographer and took heaps of shots.
I remember coming to the rec hall and watching you guys practice,my sister used to go out with and in fact married Micks brother Paul and Stewart married Elaine Ormondriod who was also on the hostel.
I will download some pics soon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chelsea Set
caroline caroline has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked omg I had forgotton about Wacol, how could I do that? was there for about 14 months. left Altona migrant hostel, went to Wacol then back to Altona. attended Corinda High School, but I remember the band, and wishing I was older so I could join in lol lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Cliff went to Corinda High school,he left got a job in Darra then went back to Corinda High for some reason
miranda12

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i was in Wacol hostel my friends dick and olive myers and family were there ,gee we must have been pioneers as olive and and dicks family were also in Altona hostel no wonder Australia is a good place to be we were the ones that helped to make it .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some photos on a site yesterday from a family that were on Wacol at the same time,now all I have to do is find the site again,they were great photos,showed both types of huts that were on Wacol,the nissan ones and the newer wooden ones. Confused

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://neilius.blogspot.com/2008/08/wacol-migrant-hostel.html

Here is the link to the story and pics of Wacol Hostel,you never know you may know this family
Paul64

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Wacol Reply with quote

[quote="stormfour"]Our Cliff went to Corinda High school,he left got a job in Darra then went back to Corinda High for some reason[/quote]
I remember Cliff. We used to hang out together with Dave Tice and spend time dreaming about being in a band. Remember the Chelsea Set well. Spent 18months on hostel from March 64. Moved to Inala. Lost touch with Cliff when I moved to Riverview.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this Paul Stephenson ??
I remember Dave Tyce well,he was a big clumsy but loveable oaf ( I hope he doesnt read this) I think Bill Whatley was around at that time too,but he went back to England,I remember going to the docks when he left,we were in Melbourne then but he came to see Cliff and we all went down to see him off.And there was Steve Jones and a dark kid I think his name was Norv or something like that,his family were originally from Sth Africa but he was English.
Paul64

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Carol, This is Paul Stevenson , Dave, Bill, Cliff and I used to knock around the camp together, mainly hangging around the bus shelter and the "club". I can't remember Steve Jones but a few hints will probably bring something back. Two brothers with Sth African parents where Denzil and ? Norv...(It wi come to me) Petoreus. I have quite a few photo's of people from that time Teenagers! I remember many others including Georgina Wilson and her brother I think was Graham. Denn Manning reminded me of the times catching a taxi to the city to go to the Scene and Red Orb night clubs. I married a girl from the camp "Jennifer Morehouse and we have to daughters. They all live in Brisbane but I live in Legana Tasmania, just north of Launceston. Maybe we can jog each others memories from time to time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,I remember you well I think it was you if I am not mistaken who stopped at the petrol station in Oxley and bought 10c worth of petrol..what a classic.I spoke to Cliff the other night on the phone and told him that I thought it was you who had posted and he remembers you well too,although he should he spent enough time with you lot.I remember Cliff getting together with a mate of mine in Inala,a really good looking blondie by the name of Robyn lloyd who all the guys thought was a hottie,turns out she was only 12,surprised the hell out of the lot of us.
Do you remember going to the coconut grove,oh my God that brings back a lot of memories,although Cliff denies ever going,I think he has selected memory,still trying to keep up the cool reputation I think.
We had a reunion today for the Altona hostel gang,it was fantastic,we had a great day.
kabre

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have fond memories of wacol hostel. Happy times. I remember very few names but Elaine Ormondroid is one I do remember. I think every teenage boy on the hostel was a little in love with her at one time or another. She was madly in love with Brian Jones. As to the Chelsea set I well remember hanging out with one of the founder members, guitarist. He quite often came to our hut and on at least one occasion he brought his guitar. He played while I sang ( very badly) some Stones songs. I can also remember going to the airport when the stones arrived on tour, this guy ( my apologies for not remembering your name It may well have been you Den) had been given a heap of photos of the band and the idea was to throw these in the air when the band got off the plane and create mayhem. I can't remember if we did it or not. I think Georgina ( George) Wilson was good friends with Elaine at that time, I think it's the same girl. So many memories. I think back to my time at Wacol and think I had some of the best times of my life there, whether it was because it was the sixties, the company or just a good time of life but I will always remember those times. I may not remember all the names but I remember the people fondly.
I would be interested to know if anyone remembers me from those days. Kevin Brett, short with fair hair. Still short and the hair is fast turning a skin colour.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevi
I should imagine the guy who came to your hut to play stones stuff would have been Den,he is a self confessed stones nut,Elaine Ormondroid married Stewart Langton,who is doing very well for him self these days,he came to Mick's 60th the year before last,and looks very well too.I asked Mick if he remembers you,but he said the name does'nt ring any bells but if he saw a photo he may.I had a brother about your age on the hostel his name was Cliff Myers and he used to knock around with Dave Tyce and Bill Watley and of course Paul Stevenson,he used to play the guitar a bit too but never really went that far with it,I think every teenage guy at that time wanted to be in a band,it seemed the thing to do.I will ask my brother if he remembers you,he lives back in the UK now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: