Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hostels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katherine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Hostels Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, What a great website. My name is Katherine surname before I married was Gilroy. My parents emmigrated to Oz on SS Orcades arrived in Sydney June 21st 1960 and placed on a train heading to Mayfield Hostel in Newcastle. We spent a few months there only 6 families from UK all the other migrants were from many parts of Europe and had been in a Camp called GRETA. It was very cold when we arrived and always remember the one bar heater and my Mum in tears. A few months later we moved to Cabramatta for about 2 years then to Burwood Hostel we finally moved off the Hostel in 1965. I went back to Mayfield a few years ago all that was left was the canteen with a few tables and chairs and a blackboard with traces of the menu. I have remained best friends with Wendy Kroie who I met at Burwood in 1962.
Len

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katherine, glad you made it and thanks for joining us.

Smile
Janet Robinson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katherine,
We also were on the S.S. Orcades and arrived in Australia in June 1960.
Although I don't know you it was very interesting to read your message.
We were supposed to come to Melbourne but had to disembark in Fremantle due to my mum having an accident on the ship and after about 2 months we continued on to Melbourne on the Fairsea.
Laurie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Katherine Reply with quote

Hi Katherine, you would have been at Cabramatta when I was there. I was'nt there long enough to make many friends, but if you had brothers around 9/10 yrs I would have gone to school with them. How old would you have been then? I know a gentleman does'nt ask a lady her age.Anyhow welcome to the site.
Laurie.
Katherine

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janet and Laurie, I was 11 when I arrived at Cabramatta Hostel. Lived in Hut 127 near the Stewarts and the Devannys also the Seniors and Eileen OConnor. Went to the Cabra Public and then Cabra High School.
Janet I was friends on the Orcades with 2 scottish girls who also ended up at Cabramatta Hope your both well and happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: