Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cabramatta Hostel around Dec 64 to '68

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bevc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Cabramatta Hostel around Dec 64 to '68 Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've just joined the site in the hope that I may find old pals from Cabramatta Hostel around Dec 64 to '68.

After I moved away and started work I caught the train with a lot of old buddies but lost touch when I got married.

I'd love to hear from anyone who remembers me from those days.
Cheers
Very Happy
linda groome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bev
Great to hear from you. I remember catching the train into the city with you and a goup of other girls. And then you got married. I also remember having dinner at your place when you first bought a town house. I can't remember who I was with at the time. Soon after we lost touch.
Linda
Sue Jackson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Old friends Reply with quote

Hey Bev, I have literally just joined this site and can't believe I haven't done this before, I am Sue Jackson and I believe you were a friend of my sister Kath? I am sure you came to Circular Quay with the gang to see us off when we returned to UK November'69.
I am so excited looking at all the messages and photos from everyone, although I have recognised a few names, no-one I was really friends with. I am still in touch with Linda Keeley (Barker), in fact I am coming to OZ in March and staying with her. I am going to email her in a minute, I want her to join this site too.
All this just brings back so many memories, I guess really we all must want to look back at something that is no longer there!

For information, my family arrived at Cabramatta Hostel in June'64 and we stayed for 2 years then moved to John Street flats until we left Oz in Nov'69. Unfortunatley I have lost touch with most of the friends I had, apart from Linda, anyone heard anything about Sue Chadwick? I played basketball for the hostel and loved the Saturday tournaments, going away on the bus, great memories.

Will look out for further input from anyone, I still don't know what to do really?

Best regards,
Sue
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue,
You would have been at Cabramatta when my late husband was House Manager there in 1965. My boys played soccer and cricket for the hostel.
My husband was a chubby fellow called Tony Hobbs and the manager in charge at that time was Bert Dudman.

My father was born in Sunderland in England and went to and was a boarder at the Royal Grammer School in Newcastle on Tyne.
Sue Jackson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phyl, thanks for update. I was only 12 when we arrived so don't remember 'grown UPS' as much, but will ask my dad
I am looking forward to getting some photos out and get them on the site.
Regards,
Bevc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Sue Chadwick Reply with quote

Hi Sue. Great to hear from you.

I recently messaged Linda Keely on Facebook.

Yep I remember Kath, I believe she keeps in touch with Gill (Butterworth)? I'm not sure if they've lost touch. I don't hear from Gill anymore, we were in touch all this time (about 44 years) until she moved to Tasmania a few years ago.

You could try a search of Sue Chadwick on 'Friends Reunited'. This site has been good for catching up with old pals from high school AND the hostel, the link is:
friends reunited.com.au

I don't know if you remember Dave Dalrymple? He's on both migrant web and friends reunited.

Say hi to Kath for me. I hope you have a great trip to Oz in March. Cheers for now. Bev :)
dorfor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Foote family - Bev? Reply with quote

Hi,
I remember a blond girl about my age (born about 1951) but can't recall if she was Bev or Joan Foote. My mother made me go and thank Mrs Foote for telling my mother that I was cutting (jigging) school! The names Sue Jackson and Linda Barker ring a bell. I think Sue was blonde and Linda brunette. We lived on the hostel from Sept 1965 to Sept 1966. My family were slightly conspicuous due to our American accents. I and my older brother had the surname Forgrave, but the rest of my family were Scharf.
Regards from Dorothy
Sue Jackson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dorothy, i think a photo would help my memory, I have found some but need to get them uploaded. You are right Linda dark and me fair (out of a bottle now)!!!
Yes i am afraid I jigged school a bit myself?!! Looking forward to my trip to oz, I leave next week, staying with Linda,
Looking forward to keeping in touch.
Sue x
Bevc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue, I just sent a PM to Dorothy, I remember her and the incident very well (wagging school).

I hope you have a great stay in Australia. How long are you here for?

Did you check out the 'Friends Reunited ' website to try to trace Sue Chadwick?

Let me know how you go.

Bev
chaddy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: sue chadwick Reply with quote

to sue jackson im sue chadwicks brother lived on cabra hostel 1964 sue played netball then she now lives in tambar springs nsw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: