Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Man with the horse?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Unanderra Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we were at the Hostel in 1967-1970 there was a German family and one of family members owned an horse. I think they had been on the Hostel for quite some time.
Anyone know who they where?
Roy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Len

I remember the family but cant think of the name. They had been on the hostel for about 10 years I think. The father had not workrd since he had an accident at the steelworks , he was sueing for compo I think. He used to go fishing everyday and took a briefcase with his legal papers and his fishing tackle so that he could call in at his soliciter on the way to Port Kembla wharf.

I seem to remember he wasnt held in any regard by the other residents , they thought he was a bludger, but the kids seemed to fit in .
Len

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the man / boy, who owned the horse was called Ralf Marler or something like that, excuse the spell as I'm a bit thick and I also think they stayed on B block facing C block, or visa versa. I don't know how old he was only he was a lot older than us. The horse was brown and white if I remember correctly. I think he also had an older brother but not sure.

If any one else knows about the man with the horse, then feel free to join in.
You never know. One day maybe one of their family members might stumble across these forums and see the thread and join in.

It must be good for the people like this that can be remembered after all these years due to having an horse or what ever.

I remember a friend of my parents that lived on B block telling them that one day their young daughter was messing around near the horse and for some reason the horse attempted to kick the child. So like a flash the mother of the child leaped over the veranda rail 'which was about 1m high' as to rescue her child from the danger and what really surprised her was the fact that she had never jump over anything that high before.

It just goes to show, 'when pushed' you're capable of doing anything.

Smile
Roy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your right with the lads name and spelling aside, the christian name seems familiar. But I thought they lived F block.

Len

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy wrote:
I think your right with the lads name and spelling aside, the christian name seems familiar. But I thought they lived F block.

You are probably right Roy. He probably tethered the horse all over the place for it to graze.
We stayed on E block facing F block and they weren't on that side, it must have been on F block facing G.hehe
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: man with the horse Reply with quote

Rolf/Ralf Marler was the first person we saw when we arrived, Easter 1967, he alway had a wild look about him.I certainly remember the horse. But does any one remember his brother George?I belive he was slightly older than you Len so 1n 1967 he was about 12 or 13ish. he went to school in Berkley and often walked home over the hills. He was more of the thinking type than his older brother.
Len

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seamed to think he had a brother but wasn�t sure. Now you�ve mentioned George, it now rings a bell.

I turned10 years old in October 67 and for some reason I thought they were much, much older than me. But then, when you�re a kid of that age two or three years difference does seem a life time. grins

smile
June & Sue

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
We (June & Susan Thompson) were on Unanderra Hostel in 1968 and remember Jullian, Rolf and George Muller well. As far as we can recall, George owned the horse.

The family moved to Warilla (think in 1969). Sadly, Rolf was killed in a motorbike accident in 1971.

Nice to hear all your memories - it is almost 40 years since we arrived in Australia, guess that is why we have suddenly discovered your website.

Cheers
June & Sue
Len

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Sue.
Very sad to here what had happened to Rolf.
JACQUELINE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy wrote:

They lived on c block near the bathroom end Rolf joined a bikie group after they moved out and was killed on his motor bike. I think there last name was Muller
Jill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: The Horse Reply with quote

The little girl who got kicked by the horse if I remember rightly was little Wendy Kelly - her dad was called Brian but the mum's name escapes me - could be June. They lived 2 doors down from us - or was is next door ???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Unanderra Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: