Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accident prone at steel works

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WarbyWok

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Accident prone at steel works Reply with quote

My family and I arrived at Fairymeadow in 1951, our hut was next to the fence near Cabbage tree creek my folks wern't all that happy but I thought it was wonderful, I was 8 yrs. old and as Mum & Dad both worked I found I had the most incredible freedom, I did'nt even have to eat with them. Dad worked for the Iron and steel works until he fell and broke his hip and leg, he was wrapped in cotton wool then covered in plaster from his waist to his ankle as if this wasn't uncomfortable enough a flea plague descended upon us and poor Dad dug dozens of holes in the plaster so he could wiggle wire under the plaster to scratch himself. Eventually he got back to work but was put off classed as accident prone so we transferred to Berkely which was mainly occupied by Dutch, German etc. The lake was magic but often you could walk across the water on the jelly fish, for some reason we then returned to Fairymeadow but still looking for the right place we ended up in Victoria in Nunawading. Is there many other folk out there who moved around like this too? Ide be interested in hearing how you coped ....cheers vonnymac
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi vonniemac
We had 18 and a half years in CHL and we were transferred 19 times in the that timespan. Sometimes a short stay others a longer stay.We had time in those hostels you mention.It was hard on the kids going from school to school.My eldest son went to 11 schools altogether and my twins to 9 schools.But it was all part of the job and we had to accept it.Must say we saw Queensland,Victoria and New South Wales because of it. Very Happy
Berkeley hostel was mostly English migrants.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: