Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nunawading Hostel about 1953 or1954

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WarbyWok

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Nunawading Hostel about 1953 or1954 Reply with quote

Hi! I am new We had previously been to Fairymeadow and Berkely hostels in NSW I wasnt very happy about leaving there to go to Nunawading but being only about 10 at the time didn't have much say.. Our hut was the last one before the path to the 'woods' and the pipe line. The other half of the hut backed on to the tile yard which had a marvelous swimming hole we called the blue hole. I went to school on the camp the teacher at the time was called Mr. Trimble and I will never forget his answer when you asked if you could go to the toilet he would say "You can but you may not!!"
In those days snakes were often found coming out of the bush in the tile yard and blue tounged lizards were common. We thought it was Xmas when Mum bought a hoover washing machine to wash our clothes and we would gladly manhandle it over to the laundry to use it. Roller skating down the hill in front of the shop was exciting because of the stones, it took some skill not to fall over - memories memories Smile
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Worbywok,
We were at Nunawading in 1955 and I remember the school well My eldest son was only a little toddler then and he used to watch longingly at the children through the fence .I have a photo of him doing that.Hope you will meet up with children you knew at that time. Smile
WarbyWok

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Nunawading Hostel Reply with quote

Hi! Phyl thanks for your reply maybe you can remember the 'Bells' Shatfords, McCreadies, Readmans My mother worked in the canteen Rosy McCreadie I must dig out a photo of her in her canteen uniform...Do you remember the concerts put on about Xmas time and walking all the way to Mitcham to buy a gallon of kerosene for those heaters and carrying it home thinking Rooks road was the longest Rd. As you had a little one about that time you might remember Mavis Keeling she was married to an airman Duke Keeling I think she had a baby about that time.Other names I can remember but cant put faces to are the McNabs, having a seniors moment can't think of any others at the moment but hope someone rings a bell for you... cheers Warbywok
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: