Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brooklyn, Royal Park, Nunawading, Williamstown 1950-1955

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patriciabuon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Brooklyn, Royal Park, Nunawading, Williamstown 1950-1955 Reply with quote

I arrived in Australia in 1950 at the age of 5. We lived in Brooklyn, Royal Park, Nunawading, and Williamstown hostels. I have memries of the appalling conditions at Brooklyn and my parents taking part in protests that resulting in my dad being given a job as a catering manager at Williamstown hostel around 1953. My pRents were horrified by the living conditions and the untruths they had been told before leaving England. I have particularly vivid memories of a children's club at Williamstown where would march and sing patriotic songs. I also recall being threatened with violence on the school bus in Williamstown because the previous night's dinner had been horrible and my dad was blamed. Little did they know what little he had to work with.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all very interesting. The Williamstown Hostel is the same as the Altona Hostel, which has its own section here. We'd be interested in any memories or snippets of info you may have, as you pre-date the rest of us by 10 years.
What school did you go to in Williamstown?
patriciabuon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: after willy Reply with quote

while we were at the hostel I went to Williamstown North primary. We left and bought a house in Altona and I finished my primary schooling at Altona primary and then had one year at Williamstown High School in 1957. My memories of the hostel were different because my dad was a manger - both a blessing and a curse. The story is that my parents protested so much about the awful conditions that my dad was offered a manager's job, and he took it. He spent a few years as a 'trouble shooter' at Royal Park, Fisherman's Bend and maybe others I don't recall.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most kids went to Williamstown North. My own family moved to Altona after the hostel, Dad worked at the oil refinery till he retired. Where in Altona did you live? It would have been such a different place in 1957. We came to Australia in 1964. Are you still in the area?
patriciabuon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Amazing Reply with quote

That's amazing. My Dad worked at the oil refinery too after he left the hostel. He stayed there until his retirement. We lived at 93 Blyth Street. I have many, many memories. We then moved again when I finished form one at Willy High and lived in Montmorency where we finally actually settled down. Because of Dad's work with Commonwealth Hostels, I thin I went to about five different primary schools, and then to two high schools. I stayed at Eltham High from form two until I finished matriculation. I now live in the Dandenongs for a bit over half the year and in the USA for the rest of the year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you're about when we've got a gathering on, you're welcome to join us. Would also love to see any old photos you care to post.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patricia,
What was your Dad's name?
Both my husband and father in law were Manager's in Commonwealth Hostels Ltd in your timeframe and before.My husband had to go through training to become a manager so wonder how your Dad escaped that.My father in law was in hostels before your dad and he was attacked and lost an eye. I know the early days were a bit rough .
My children also found it a joy and a curse. Also they went to many schools.my eldest,11 schools 4 of those secondary the rest primary and the twins, 9 schools,4 of those secondary and the rest primary.
We certainly had scary times in the early days but some nice times too and many of the staff were lovely.
I still don't understand how your Dad was offered management because of his complaints.That was not usually CHL's way and I had 18 and a half years of the Company.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: