Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Norma nee Attwell, Altona Hostel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Norma nee Attwell, Altona Hostel Reply with quote

Hi, Im Norma, lived at Altona Hostel for 4 years from 1954-58, oh I could write a book about that place. I'm trying to locate any photos from our time in the hostel particularly when three of us girls were invited to the Governors Garden party at Government House, Governor then was Sir Dallas Brooks. The other girls were Irene Catani, and Jean Bury, Im afraid I dont know their married names, but believe they still in Melbourne, I would particularly like the photo of us done out in our finery for the garden party.
I remember the old grandstand, we managed to find a way into the roof space between floors, and decided to sneak out at midnight and go sleep there to see if there were really any ghosts, there was a small gang of us that did, and it was a real game thing for us to do then, I think I was about 12,needless to say no one got any sleep.. So many memories, and often wonder how some of the folks we knew got on later after they left the hostel, we moved to Maidstone from there.
I saved the life of a greek boy once who got bitten by a tiger snake whilst walking in grass along the creek on the hostel side and ran to the managers office to tell them as he just lay on the ground, no one around to help either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: