Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

East hills Hostel, Arrived October 1969 on the Castel Felice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kendo.lincoln.co.uk@gmail

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: East hills Hostel, Arrived October 1969 on the Castel Felice Reply with quote

Hi everyone
Just thought i'd take a look back in time, My name is Kenny Attwood, I have two brothers Graham and Mark and a sister Sally-ann.
I went to Hammondville primary and Liverpool boy's high school and i used to go with Noddy and Tubbs and the Snell brothers.
I used to play soccer for Hammondville and Liverpool boy's high and was good friends with Paul and Steve ( fly ) Jones, and new the Hobbs boy's well.
I used to do boxing with skip at the youth hostel as well.
The last time i saw Tubbs was he was working on a fruit stall in Banktown just left off the Hume Hwy but heard he passed away and that was in the early 70's
I saw Noddy ( Charles Richardson ) a couple of times at at Bankstown swimming pool, Paul and Steve were owning or running the crazy golf centre in Milperra , the one just over the bridge that was in 1994'
Does anyone remember Thor the big Icelandic lad last time i saw him was in Campbelltown in the 80's.
phil phil has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi kenny,
i was on east hills and heathcoate hostels between 1968 -1970,
also attended hammondville east school , i used to knock about with " noddy"and the Snell brothers , (keith and terry if my memory serves me right) one of them was in my class at school ( picture on this site under heathcoate hostels) my form teacher was called miss Rogers, i also remember the heads name as a mr Wells and a mr Hadyn , had the cane off of them two a few times!
i also played football for the hostel team Heathcoate Hearts, i remember the whole team getting into skips cortina estate to go the away games!�
i wonder if you knew the family names of summerscales, doyle ,turley or butler
fond memories....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil
That's right Keith and Terry and I remember The name Mr Wells and Mr Hadyn and skips cortina Lol. The name Summerscales comes to mind, do you remember John Fearny he stowed away on a liner going back to England and was found about 4day's at sea ,he used to get whipped and he showed me his back I was so glad to hear he made it, some people were so home sick and he was desperate to get away from the person that was doing this to him.
I remember people shooting at the youth centre as they drove past in their cars as a young lad it was like the wild west!
Whatscyour last name Phil have met?
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Ken ,
I am the Hobbs boys mother and will tell Charlie you have come onto the forum. Sadly his twin ,Allan, died in 1998
I don't know where the Jones boys are now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phyl
I remember Mr Hobbs really well as a 13 yr old with the other kids we were pretty aware when he was around and now I'm older I don't think he was that fierce! lol.
I new your lads really well and am i right in saying Allan was the eldest and with Blonde hair, he was a nice lad andi i looked up to him ,I think he was one or two years older than me about the age of my eldest brother Graham.
I used to sleep at Paul jones' house on the hostel they seemed to take me in!
I remember getting bitten by a massive bull ant in the bingo hall which stopped the bingo I never went again.
I remember the first day we were on the hostel my brother and a couple of others went into east hills over the little bridge and got attacked coming back by people in the nearby housing estate came back with a black eye and from then on we learnt to watch our backs.
We got in trouble from Mr Hobbs once for playing with the dry ice they used to chuck out of the canteen kitchen.
We were a bit naughty because a couple of times at the end of lunch we would wait and hide and then leave the canteen by the big back doors and leave the ajar so at tea time we young lads could be first in line for dinner!
A bit naughty but in this day and age laughable really.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan was the younger twin Charlie the older one ,taller than Allan and Murray was the eldest
Murray didn't play soccer only cricket but the twins played soccer and cricket.
You would remember John Shea the 'Skip' . Wonder what he is doing now?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phyl
They were all good lads it might have been charlie I was thinking of now I think about it!
I went back to the hostel three or four times to have a look at it over a 20 year period as it was a big change in my life, oh yes I remember skip he did a remarkable job looking after us lot and keeping us out of trouble.
When I think how we used to hitch it to the weir it could have been a disaster.
I never used to swim in the dam we used to walk up the hill a bit and through some sort of gate or opening and through the bush where there were some smaller lakes and ponds and swinging ropes on trees and they had their own sandy beaches, we all had each other and that's all we had.
I was homesick for 4years and never got on at school as the teachers weren't nice to kids from other backgrounds at Liverpool boys high school.
We moved to panania, then Bankstown and finally Campbelltown.
I moved back to the uk in 1994 unbelievable when you think what I had achieved out there I had a house a company car and a franchise with Harvey Norman but it still wasn't enough to stop me seeing the rest of the world, I've been to America 10 times and holiday'd in different countries and my brother still lives in Tahmoor in outer sydney I have many friends in Sydney and will be hopefully coming back next year as it is my 2nd home.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ken
my last name is key , cant recall you although it is 41 years ago now and the memory is a little blurred !
if you see the hammondville east school picture on here i am on the very right back row, one of the snell brothers is also in the picture,
the lad summerscales that i knew was called graham, think he also had an older brother and sister
i remember john ferney, i remember him legging it from school down the driveway and the teachers ordering us to chase him and bring him back !!
when i was back in the uk i was doing my morning paper round, picked a paper out my bag and there he was on the front page with the story about him stowing away back to the uk
hostel days .... great times for a kid, (i had the time of my life !!)
dont think too many of the adults thought the same though
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Ken,
I have enjoyed reading your posts.
We lived in Australia in Hostels, from 1954 to 1973 and I was always homesick and so we returned to New Zealand in 1973 .
If you are interested in what Charlie is doing now have a look at his business site at

www.mtcook.com

He always loved that mountain from the time I painted it when he was 11 years old..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil
I'll take a look at that photo I was so home sick I used to think of jumping ship but was to scared ,you used to be able to get a visitors pass from the P and O office and look around thesecships when they were in port and John and in went to circular quay once and that's when he told me he would be stowing awayband one day I would read about it,he wasn't wrong!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phyl
I was impressed but not suprised when I saw Charlies web site as imremember he was alway's an active kid.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil
I'll take a look at that photo I was so home sick I used to think of jumping ship but was to scared ,you used to be able to get a visitors pass from the P and O office and look around thesecships when they were in port and John and in went to circular quay once and that's when he told me he would be stowing awayband one day I would read about it,he wasn't wrong!

hi ken,
i also remember going on the ships at circular quay, dont remember getting any passes though, lol,
it was part of a regular saturday day out, used to get some vouchers from a newspaper that got you into luna park, ride the ferries in the harbour, go to the toronga park zoo, on and off the ships, train ride there and back, probably never went out with more than 50 cents in my pocket ! eat and smoke and probably come back with some change !
any one remember a fairground that came and set up on the boundries of east hills hostel or is my memory playing tricks ?
re your earlier post about getting bit by a bull ant- so did i
swore blind it was a tarrantula lol, thought i was gonna die,
we was collecting some long tall sticks (kangaroo tails ? ) that we was going to use as arrows for our bows near an ants nest when i got bit on thebare foot, hurt a bloody lot as i remember,
i remember a lad who used to lay on top of the ants nest for a small bet !
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Phil , I don't remember a fairground coming close to the hostel.Not in my time there anyway.
I was stung on the ear by one of those smaller ants,(not the very little ones) with the irredescent green body. Wow !!!!!! that hurt !!!!!!!!!
I'm enjoying your posts Very Happy
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Ken.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: