Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Balgownie Dinning room:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Balgownie Dinning room: Reply with quote

Mr Claude Mathew Kelly in the Hostels Dinning room.

Len

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don�t remember having flowers on our tables at Unanderra hostel, what�s the deal? Mr. Green

Smile
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: photo Reply with quote

Great Photo of the dining room at Balgownie .Thanks Ted. I don't think I ever went into the dining rooms at Balgownie. I was busy recovering from a kidney op I had had just before we arrived and I really didn't know many people there.We were only there about 6 months then transferred to Cabramatta.The things that stand out are those boston buns I wrote about and a robbery we had . Should tell you about that. It was in the local paper at the time.
Who is sitting with you at the table Ted and what year was it? We were there in 1963. Smile
Sorry you didn't get flowers on the tables Len. Sad
Roy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos.

It must have got pretty bloody hot in summer with the iron ceilings.

I cant see any cubes of butter wrapped up in paper like sweets. Oh I forgot , they locked them in the safe didn't they, lol. A fiend of mine, Kevin his mother worked in the canteen and she had a fridge in her room full of them but in the canteen the limit was one per person. Do you remember that Len?
Len

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy wrote:

I cant see any cubes of butter wrapped up in paper like sweets. Oh I forgot , they locked them in the safe didn't they, lol. A fiend of mine, Kevin his mother worked in the canteen and she had a fridge in her room full of them but in the canteen the limit was one per person. Do you remember that Len?

............................................................................................. lolo .................................................................................
No I don�t Roy but I suppose everyone had there little perks, just don�t tell the management. grins

smile
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laugh
I hope Kevin's mother didn't have too much cholesterol in her blood from all that butter. She can have my share I just hate the fatty stuff. Laughing I'm sure the management was aware of those little perks . What do you think?
Roy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phyl

A perk is just that, a perk but in the quantities that was is that fridge I would take the moral high ground and say it bordered on theft. For that reason I doubt management knew about it.

Butter is an important part of a balanced diet.

Funny thing is hostel butter was the first time I had ever tasted the stuff, I was brought up on stork, going back to margarine to me is a backward step.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roy,
Gosh you could be right there. It does sound as though you are and management didn't know.
One question please: What is stork? Is that when you were a wee baby and mother's milk was best? Smile
They,, I think, are finding margarine is not the 8th wonder of the world they thought is was either. I did hear that somewhere.

Anyway HAPPY EASTER to you all. sun
Roy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phyl

Stork is a brand of margarine. The advert on telly said "nine out of ten people cant tell stork from butter .'' Which was very true as regards my family because we never tasted butter to compare.

Oh I remember now I had butter with breakfast when the school went on a trip to France and being only 13 or so I thought it tasted yuk.

and a happy easter to you too Phyl.
dancewithmarg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This brings back memories, I remember the dining hall, although it looks a lot smaller now I'm grown up. I never saw any flowers on the tables when I was there, and the tables were all in straight rows across the room. Our table was about 3 tables back from the 2 ladies on the right hand side of the picture. After supper we'd write on a brown paper bag what we wanted in our "crib" to take to school next day. I always chose vegemite as I loved it. Just remembered the name of the folks who were on the next table to us - the Midgeleys, their son was Alan, and they had a little baby girl during the time we were there.

(P.S. on the topic of Stork - I was a bit of a wit (so I thought) and once when we were all at the table, my dad told me not to mutter, to which I replied - "I was talking, not muttering - You can't tell talk from mutter".)

Marg
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very clever Marg. Laughing
Interesting post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: