Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cabramatta Hostel 1961 - 1965

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Pearson Robert Pearson has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Cabramatta Hostel 1961 - 1965 Reply with quote

Hi all I am an expat of Cabramatta Hostel 1961 - 1965 My name is Robert Pearson my family Father Robert (Bob ) senior (passed away approx 20 years ago) Mother Peggy still alive and kicking at 82 years lives in Wetherill Park My Eldest brother David lives in Campbelltown with wife Anne, There is Me 2nd eldest who has a wife Aileen living on the Central Coast, Ronald 3rd Lives on the Central Coast and 4th Eric Lives in Perth with wife Linda. We arrived in Sydney on the Strathaird's last voyage March 1961 and were transported to Cabramatta a sleepy little bush town and then the migrant Hostel and lived in 109 a.b.c. The metal army camp style accomodation was very cramped cold in winter and very hot in Summer but we were happy to a degree. This experience and the schooling at Cabramatta Primary and then Cabramatta High were something to rememeber and all the friends I made and the things I did still are there in the cells and mater in my brain which I still have very fond thoughts. Iwas glad to be a part of it and now I have found this web page I will share those experiences with you in time plus we still have photo's of those days any way if you rememeber us post us your comments Bob Pearson
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,
Welcome, Did your mother work in the kitchen at the hostel as I think, a cook? My late husband was a manager there in 1965.Bert Dudman being the manager in charge.
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Robert

My family were on Cabramatta Hostel, 1963 -65. Hut 113AB. I remember your brother Dave very well. We used to go to Beatle Village with a crowd of other lads from the Hostel. You might remember the night Dave and me were attacked by some thugs as we walked down Oxford Street on our way to Town Hall Station to catch the last train home. Dave had all his front teeth bashed in. It was horrible, and very scary.
Like you, I have fond memories of the Hostel days. I'm in touch with Jack Campbell (lives in Bossley Park) and Steve Cranley (known as Steve Phillips on the Hostel). Dave will know both names well.
It would be great to catch up with Dave after all these years; so if you don't mind forwarding his contact details, then I'll most certainly get in touch with him.

All the best.

Ken Lockett
GinaKate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Town Hall - Oxford street, I'm guessing a sharpie attack, always nasty.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robert,I have sent you a PM in answer so hope you receive it all right.
Robert Pearson Robert Pearson has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: To all hello Reply with quote

Yes I am the younger brother of Dave 2nd son of Peggy who worked in the canteen she is still alive living in Wetherill Park and we did live in 109 abc Cabramatta hostel. We lved there in 1961 - 1965 then we got a housing department home in Villawood. Beatle Village, Union Jack club, Rhubarbs and also the blue lagoon cafe in Fairfield were all apart of my life growing up so any one interested in talking or wants to start a topic up I hope I can email you back later sorry for short note now Bob Pearson
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert

Thanks for getting back to me with a Private Message. I'd love to go for a pint with Dave, trouble is, I live in Liverpool, UK. Does Dave have an email address? If yes, could you forward it?

Best regards

Ken Lockett
Hollander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,
I was interested to notice that you went to Beatlevillage, Rhubarbs and Union Jack. I went to those places as well and after I moved from East Hills Hostel to Liverpool, I got to know a lot of people from the Cabramatta, Villawood area (we'd arrange to meet on a particular rail carriage at a particular time). Names I remember are Paul Sweeney and his girlfriend Roslyn, Dave Gordon, Sheila, Jean (the French fellow in the Sgt Pepper Coat)...
The Criterion Hotel, across from Rhubarbs was a major gathering place. Similarly, The Burdekin Hotel near the Union Jack. Sundays we usually got together in The Domain. Wonder if any of this rings a bell?
Cheers,
Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: