Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photos shared by barkly: East Hills Hostel 1953

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Photos shared by barkly: East Hills Hostel 1953 Reply with quote

Photos shared by barkly Smile

See scout & cub group thread Here

See railway thread Here
Len

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos shared by barkly Smile

Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,did I love looking at those photos Very Happy . They are really great and show the nissens off that's for sure. And Williams creek . Also I remember those chairs . And those tablecloths Cool We were issued with the same. Ah the memories .They do flood back. You actually were in Australia before we were in the really early days. We arrived in 1954.Tony earlier than I in 1954.. Thankyou so much Barkly for sending them in ,they are wonderful and hope there are those around who were there in those early days. Smile My father in law ,also a Manager in those early days lost an eye in one of the earlier "hard" times Sad .Not at East Hills though.
chrisnic chrisnic has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Memory of Williams Creek

Phil and Barkly, thanks for sharing these great photos, for me especially the one of Williams Creek.

If you look at the left background, you can see some kids playing around the branches of a tree on the bank. In my day, there was a rope attached to a branch which swung out over the water. One day I lost my grip and fell fully clothed into the creek. I had to walk back to the hostel sopping wet and explain myself to Mum and Dad, much to their amusement. "Tarzanning it" was the phrase my Dad used.

Anyhow thanks for the memories

Cheers
Chris
Johnb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics are really great, its a shame that by the time we got there in 1961 the seage traetment plant ment that there were all sorts of stuff floating in the creek. It didnt stop my father from fishing in the creek every chance he got
Johnb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interestingly, memorys are comming back, we arrived at East Hills around the 3 or 4 June 1961. after being there for a few days my brother and I were picking up some packing cases from the admin area, we were wheeling them back to our hut when a girl called out my name. she had gone to the same junior school as me in Northampton, me being just 12 years old and very shy was quite taken back, However the familys formed a freindship, I just wonder if any body now what happened to Margrete Goodridge. from my memory her father met her mother in Italy during the 2nd world war
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: