Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scheyville Centenary, Sunday 15th May 2011

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Scheyville Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoopMul JoopMul has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Scheyville Centenary, Sunday 15th May 2011 Reply with quote

RECEIVED from
Event Coordinator: Phil Nicholas / Tel. 02 9995 5532 / [email protected]

Celebrating and gathering of the diverse groups associated with the historic site named �Scheyville� in 1911.

During its one hundred-year history, the site has hosted a range of uses � the most important occurring during socially, culturally and politically significant phases of Australian history.

To mark the centenary, the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NWPS) will host a celebration open to all the diverse groups associated with Scheyville. There will be an exhibition of photographs, documents and recorded histories of the site. There will be an opportunity for oral histories to be recorded for those who are interested in participating.

If you are aware of members of your group or association who have a connection to Scheyville, particularly during the Migrant Hostel era 1948-1964, I would like to hear from you. Please send me your expression of interest so that I may include your members in a formal invitation to attend the Centenary event.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Phil Nicholas

P.S.

Now that two major events involving Sydney's "Dutch Community", are over, let's concentrate on Scheyville!! See you 15 May!

Jo Mulholland
(a.k.a., Joop Mul / Ozcloggie)
Chair: Dutch Australian Cultural Centre
85 Market Street, Smithfield.
[/youtube]
migrationheritage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Details for upcoming Scheyville Centenary Celebration Reply with quote

Here is updated information about the celebration planned for Sunday May 15th. Information was copied from the official web page:
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkEvents.aspx?id=N0101#t20110304083200001

Scheyville Centenary Celebration for past residents

A celebration and gathering of the diverse groups associated with the historic site Scheyville (named 1911).

During Scheyville's one hundred-year history, it has hosted a range of uses, the most important spanning socially, culturally and politically significant phases of Australian history.

Join us for a trip down memory lane, as Scheyville's past will be brought to life in an exhibition of photographs, documents and recorded histories of the site. You will have opportunity to tell your story and listen to other stories, to browse through the memorabilia collected so far and to contribute to the collection.

Visitors are asked to bring along photographs, preferably digitised (i.e. saved onto a compact disc or memory stick), memorabilia or personal belongings relating to their stay at Scheyville and for many, their life-changing journey to Australia. We are interested in obtaining records or copies of this information to help explain the site's rich history.

Scheyville is now listed on the State Heritage Register and National Parks are now engaged in the process of restoring the remaining buildings for reuse.

Food and drinks: hot food and refreshments will be available to purchase on site. Visitors can also bring a picnic. Alcohol is BYO.

Transport: trains run to Mulgrave Station; please phone 13 PARK (13 7275). To assist us in planning local transport provision, please let us know if you intend travelling to and from Mulgrave Station. Calls will be accepted until close of business Friday 13 May.

Wheelchair access: there is wheelchair access to the main buildings and restricted access around the site.

When: Sunday 15 May, 10:00am to 3:00pm

Cost: free

Bookings: to assist us in our planning and catering, please register at [email protected] or phone 13 PARK (13 7275)
Henriej35

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Scheyville Re Union day May 15 2011 Reply with quote

Hi,
I am eagerly waiting for the reunion day to see and hear stories of other migrants
Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Scheyville Centenary, Sunday 15th May 2011 Reply with quote

Hope you'll come and say hello.
I'm the fellow, playing the accordion. (Just simple tunes!!!! To provide the 'atmosphere'!!!!)
Jo[/img]
Henriej35

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reunion day 15th May Reply with quote

Hi sure will, my sister and I will definately come and say hello

See you then

Henrietta

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Reunion day 15th May Reply with quote

:) Am so hoping for good weather. (Tomorrow I can practise. I'll be playing - just simple tunes - in the Dutch shop, in Smithfield.

Henriej35 wrote:
Hi sure will, my sister and I will definitely come and say hello

See you then

Henrietta

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We DID say hello!
After playing the accordion, at the memorial and before the dedication there, I wandered around, only a little bit, with my cameras.
Please check out:

Link

also

Link

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheyville 100Years Celebration. Enjoyed it a lot!
Different from 2005 and that makes BOTH occasions special!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/Ozcloggie/ScheyvilleCentenary150511#

Joop
Len

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the video's and the photos Joop. Looks like there was a very good turn out on the day.

Thank you

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking, Len.

Again, strange how I missed out on meeting up with at least two people who did come and whom I was looking out for, i.e., an ex-pupil and my children's drama teacher.

I won't write: "Oh well. Next time."

This was rather unique.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: POST SCRIPT Reply with quote

Such a pity! I've only made contact with Myriam, in the last few days. With Johan I had made contact earlier.
I suspect it was when Australia and the Netherlands celebrated 400 years of contact, in 2006 and there was an exhibition (and other activities) in the Netherlands. Visits here,etc..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Scheyville Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: