Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Christmas Greeting 2011

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Christmas Greeting 2011 Reply with quote

A Merry Christmas and may 2012 be all you wish it to be. Especially to you Len .You have given so many the opportunity to post their memories of CHL. Thankyou.

sun
kate fletcher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Christmas to everyone and best wishes for 2012.
I've been remembering the four Christmasses I spent at Holmesglen Hostel as a child.
It was oven-like inside the nissen huts, and so everybody used to leave their doors open which meant that you could hear radio music from almost every hut. The song called The Little Drummer Boy seemed to be played constantly and it never fails to remind me of those days.
There was a children's Christmas party in the big Rec Hut next to the canteen across the road, and we were each given a present. One year I got a big tin box of paints and drawing paper, another time roller skates that I never quite mastered.
The canteen's Christmas meal was determinedly European, no concessions made to the heat, and we had steaming vegetables and steaming pudding. We gave each other cards with snow and ice on them: cards chosen by adults who must have been feeling a bit homesick.
Len

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry Christmas everyone, All the best for 2012
cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: