Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hostel Shop:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Unanderra Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you remember the shop and drinking Pepsi and saving the caps to get a free one.
Len

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so Roy, did you have to dig the cork out of the cap and see if there was a logo or something underneath and then save the caps with the logo?s for the required amount needed for a free one.
Roy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Len, You had to dig under the cork on the Pepsi caps to reveal a letter P,E S I and if you had an E you got a freebee or you could send the caps that spelt PEPSI to the distributor and get a bigger prize.

One afternoon the owner kicked me out because I buggered up the pinball machine, he had it set to rack up a max of 3 free games and somehow it jammed on 4 games , so what ever happened I still had 4 games in the kitty. I got fed up eventually and let everone else play , the shop filled up with just about all the youth from the hostel playing for free. When he woke up that he wasnt making any money out of us he pulled the plug out and kicked us all out banning me for a week. I got Roger Hopper to ask his dad to talk with him and he let me back after a day or two.

Do you remember a local lad from unanderra that used to hang about with us , he had a whippet dog and always carried a portable wireless.

Len

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy wrote:
Len, You had to dig under the cork on the Pepsi caps to reveal a letter P,E S I and if you had an E you got a freebee or you could send the caps that spelt PEPSI to the distributor and get a bigger prize.

I wasn't sure about that one Roy but I do remember being able to buy these triangular shaped ice lollys. What you had to do is tare off the top, eat the ice lolly and if it had free printed inside you got a free one. Hehe they were cheap, only cost a few cents to buy.

Roy wrote:
One afternoon the owner kicked me out because I buggered up the pinball machine, he had it set to rack up a max of 3 free games and somehow it jammed on 4 games , so what ever happened I still had 4 games in the kitty. I got fed up eventually and let everone else play , the shop filled up with just about all the youth from the hostel playing for free. When he woke up that he wasnt making any money out of us he pulled the plug out and kicked us all out banning me for a week. I got Roger Hopper to ask his dad to talk with him and he let me back after a day or two.

I can remember the pinball machine but I never played on it as I was not tall enough. I think I spent most of my spare pocket money buying marbles because at Port Kembla public school, marbles was the craze at that time.

Roy wrote:

Do you remember a local lad from unanderra that used to hang about with us , he had a whippet dog and always carried a portable wireless.

Roy I think this question would make another good topic. Other people might remember him, so have ago at creating a new topic. Call it something like Local Man with whippet or what ever. hehe
Len

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity.

Does anyone know who owned / managed the shop? Was it run privately or by the hostel? Who worked in the shop?
Roy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant remember the blokes name Len but I think the shop was leased to him, he German maybe or Eastern European.
Roy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Len wrote:

Roy I think this question would make another good topic. Other people might remember him, so have ago at creating a new topic. Call it something like ?Local Man with whippet ?or what ever. hehe

Len you should know people dont let me near thier computers. I cant even play a pinball without buggering it up, buit ill try if you dont mind.
Len

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy wrote:

Len you should know people dont let me near thier computers. I cant even play a pinball without buggering it up, buit ill try if you dont mind.

Nice one Roy, I really appreciate you starting that topic, you never know we might even get some reply?s, if not then it doesn't matter, Cheers. :)
It's just that, at the moment it looks a bit sad because all the topics are started by me and people will begin to think that I'm Billy no mates and I'm not a bad person really. Hehe

Don't worry about buggering things up here Roy, they can be fixed. I myself am a novice. I've had my pc since 2002 and in that time I have managed to pick up one or two tricks. I've had no formal training on a pc, I'm just an average bloke. I work for a living as a sheet metal worker and nothing to do with IT.
I bugger things up , so what the hell. :D
Len

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy wrote:
Cant remember the blokes name Len but I think the shop was leased to him, he German maybe or Eastern European.

Well you know more than me Roy. I don't remember the shop keepers at all, male, female or even what nationality they were. I don't suppose then that they lived on the Hostel? Perhaps they live in Unanderra, Cringilla or somewhere.
Roy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was just the one guy that ran the shop Len, he opened about 10.00am and closed at eight pm.

At first he appeared to be a grumpy old bugger but was ok when you get to know him , usually in your second year of internmant ,lol.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I wasn't sure about that one Roy but I do remember being able to buy these triangular shaped ice lollys. What you had to do is tare off the top, eat the ice lolly and if it had free printed inside you got a free one. Hehe they were cheap, only cost a few cents to buy.

They were called SUNNY BOYS and cost 5 cents. They also had WHIZ, RAZZ and another that was like frozen Coke. They're still around but are way smaller.
If you looked at the edges, sometimes they didn't meet up and you could hold it up when the milk bar lady wasn't looking, and see the blue or yellow print overlapping, which guaranteed a freebie! I used to get one after the other this way.
JACQUELINE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy wrote:

I remember a local lad who lived down the road who hung around the hotel with a black whippet his name was Robert Hill. Could this be the person you are thinking of.
robandjean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy wrote:

We also played the pinball machine in the shop. The back board was loose and we could just reach around and spin the wheel around to get free games.We were lucky we never got busted lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Unanderra Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: