Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi All from 1966 (Dundas)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Dundas Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim555

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Hi All from 1966 (Dundas) Reply with quote

Hi All,
My name is Jim Dodd; I arrived at Dundas Hostel in 1966 aged 13.
I came with my mother and dad John & Mary Dodd and my brother Steven.
We lived in the first hut at the back gates, at one point my mother worked in the canteen.
I went to McQurrey boys high school dose anyone remember me.
Regards
Jim
Cool
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim.
My late husband Tony Hobbs was Manager in Charge at Dundas 1966-67
so you may or may not have known my boys.Murray went to Oatlands then to McQuarie Boys High.
GinaKate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim, I don't remember you but no doubt we did know many of the same crowd, quite a few of them are out Penrith/Springwood way and still get together. We were on the back row next to the Sherridan and the Johnson families.
Jim555

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Hi All from 1966 Reply with quote

Hi Phyl,
Sorry to here about Tony.
I do recognized your faces but if you spoke to me it would have only to tell me to go away I was a bit of a menus, you would have known my mother Mary Dodd.
Regards
Jim
Jim555

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Hi All from 1966 Reply with quote

Hi, GinaKate
Would you be talking about the Hogon family and there was a little guy like my self I think he was Steven and his sister I think was Barbara or linder????? Embarassed
I met them again quite a lot of years ago when I started to date Hazel Macubin again they all lived near to each other in I think it was called tragear near Mt druitt
Regards
Jim
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Jim,I would not have told you to go away ,I would have said hello had you spoken to me. Smile
GinaKate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking Billy Nutall, he moved out towards Tregear, and would have been about your age, and also David Donkin, Neil Orr, Jimmy and Patrick Coyle. I suppose it all depends on whether you arrived at the beginning of 1966 or the end; most of the families who decided to stay headed out towards the mountains about that time because the housing estates were being established all along the railway line to cater for the migrant influx.
Jim555

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Billy Nutall Reply with quote

Hi GinaKate,

Wow Billy Nutall, His father Bill was very good friends with my father.
I didn�t know Billy that well, BUT he bought a Yellow panel van that I was going to buy I think my old man told his old man about it and he beet me to it.
I came over on the same plane as the Johnson families. what is your name and how old was you in 66?
Now when I got there everyone was talking about a UFO that had landed on the canteen roof.
Was that true or bs?
Regards
Jim.
GinaKate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 16, about the same age as Billy's sister Stella and our surname was Smith. We had moved into a house around the corner from the hostel at that time but still met up with everyone every day. Dad was a fitter and turner at International Combustion in Rydalmere, along with quite a few others from the hostel. Although the only one I remember at dad's funeral in 1978 was Bill Sharpe.
Probably a different Johnson family on the plane, the ones near us had already been there for 18 months when we arrived, the one about your age I'm thinking his name was Steven, but I'm not too sure because everyone called him 'rabbit'.
And as for the UFO, well why would it land on the roof? They only need to hover don't they? I can't remember who started that one but I do remember a lot of jokes about aliens, canteen food, and reasons why they would target a bunch of immigrants. Phyl might be able to shed more light on this one.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I heard of a UFO. Smile I'll ask my kids if they know
Jim555

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was too young to hang with the older teens, but I did when I was in England my girl friend was 17.
I do remember a Billy Sharpe did they call bill, Billy?
As for the UFO before I come over here I thought UFOs was a TV thing. so I was shocked. Shocked Laughing
The Johnson family I came over with had 2 younger boys that was all ways sick they was waiting for the 2 years to be up so they could go back.
I think my parents were in England in 78, I was 17 the first time they went back.
They were all ways back and forth, I think they went back for good in 95.
GinaKate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of trivia if you are a sports fan: Nathan Hindmarsh, Parramatta's rugby league captain is Billy Nuttall's nephew. He is the son of Billy's younger sister, she was just a tot on the hostel.
Jim555

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Cool
Jim555

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some more for you.
One of the last people in Australia to make Gas from Coal was Jim Dodd in the Archives
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Dundas Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: