Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Melbourne 1968

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Introducing myself Reply with quote

Hi my name is Kevin Manning.
I began one of the greatest adventures of my life during the summer of 1968. I, being the oldest of six kids with my parents departed Detroit, Michigan USA to arrive in Sydney, off the SS Oriana. Then traveled via train to Melbourne. Settling in a hostel there. This is my question. How many hostels were there in Melbourne and is there someway to find out which one my family stayed at? I was 14 at the time and I have many memories darn near every one a good one!
Thanks I hope I'm doing this right. Computers " humbug"!
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you remember the name of your school or any landmarks nearby? The hostels at the time were ALTONA, BROADMEADOWS, BROOKLYN, HOLMESGLEN, FISHERMANS BEND, NUNAWADING, NORLANE and one or two others I forget.
kevin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I'm checking with my sibs to jog their memories. I know we arrived in Sydney on 24 Sept., 1968. In the back of this old passport is a sticker Aliens Act 1947-65 Ref. B #167056. We sat at the train station for what was to be a 6 or 8 hour wait. A man talking to my parents after afew minutes invited the whole family to his home. His family let us freshen up and fed us. We played with his kids indoors and out. The time went by in a snap. What a nice time and a great family. My parents have passed so I'm relying on the memories of my 2 brothers and 3 sisters. I was reading a chat here between two ladies re: knowing past families. One metioned a large family that would walk to the cafeteria in single file and keep to themselves. A strange brood! That sounded like us. We were more amazed and affraid then strange. I'll write when I know more Thanks
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin
Do you remember anything about your accomadation in the hostel,some hostels had Nissen huts and some had wooden huts,so that may single out or eliminate some depending on that,also as Judith said,do you remember anything about your surroundings,these hostels where put in the most undesirable places..near Abbatoirs,oil refineries,ect,mainly places where the general public didn't want to live.
Do you remember any railway stations near to where you were,although that too could be unlikely as they were sometimes a fair way from transport,for some reason.but all that can help in determining where you might have been

We too came to Australia on the Oriana..what a beauty she was ,and as a kid,we just had the run of the ship,it was pure heaven

Good Luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: