Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nelson Bay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoopMul JoopMul has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Nelson Bay Reply with quote

I do think that Nelson Bay should be listed too.

Not that I lived there. I'm a little obsessed with the official description: spent time there.
Just as I'm interested in the various names used: At first, still: Camps and later hostels and reception centres.
The only time I spent in the camp, at Nelson Bay, was, in about 1965/57, when we children from the Matraville hostel were taken there, for a holiday.

Years later I was thrilled when friends drove me to Zenith Beach.
I remembered being taken there, on that holiday trip because a friend and I took photos of each other in the surf there.

I've always been a little curious about that particular hostel. It seemed to be already no longer used as a migrant reception centre, when I was there, that time, as a boy.

(Was already keen to photograph, then. Not only have the photo of Rob and I in the surf but also his little brother and I in the doorway of the nissen hut waiting for the daily inspection and also that boy and I doing the washing-up duty/chore. :)

(I'm in the striped shirt. The boy with me was Frans Arentz. He was the younger brother of Robert, who took these photos.)
chrisnic chrisnic has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joopmul

You learn something new every day. I used to holiday around Nelson Bay when my kids were younger (about the mid-80's), but I never realised that there had been a migrant hostel there. Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

Chris
JoopMul JoopMul has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris

Yes. Good old Google, now-a-days

I had already seen the hostel mentioned in the DIMEX project, that the D.A.C.C. had undertaken.

Jo
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jo,
Though I was never at Nelson Bay Hostel ,I remember the late Jack Hillman was one of the managers there I think it closed fairly early in the piece.
Just by putting a post about it puts it on the list. Len has certainly given us a wonderful site. Very Happy
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had an email at my private address re this Hostel and have helped by searching the National Archives of Australia. There are not too many files on this, however, there is one with the documents for the aquisition of the property as a Migrant Hostel in 1957-58. There is also a file with 13 photos of the site. Neither of these has been initially purchased by anyone (and therefore making it publicly available after the initial purchase to anyone for free), however, they are marked as 'open" meaning that anyone who wants to know more, can buy the documents.
snazzyannie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi my family went to Nelson bay we arrive late at night from Sydney
it was very scarey I was 10 at the time, with parent Harry & Lily Medhurst
brother John and young Paul,
we spent the Summer there John and I loved living near the sea, we had lived in Scunthorpe in UK and had only been to the sea a few times.
the local kids at school, were not nice to us though.
we then went to Cabramatta Hostel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: