Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Norlane Hostel Geelong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Norlane Hostel Geelong Reply with quote

Hello All
I came to Australia from England with my parents and older brother, arriving at the hostel in Norlane on (or about) 9th January, 1960 (?).

I had my ninth birthday on the ship coming out from the UK, the ship's name was the Fairsea and I think it was part of the Sitmar Line. I remember the Norlane Hostel inasmuch as our family had only two-thirds of one half of a Nissan hut. The huts were split horizontally down the middle and then each half could be for a family unit with a bedroom at each end and the living area in the middle. But the whole half of the hut was for a bigger family than ours so we only got one sleeping area and the living area. I think the remaining part of our side of the hut was used for a single person or perhaps a couple.

My dad started work at the Ford Factory as a machinist but as I recall he was not qualified for the position but soon learned what to do. My mum did a stint in the hostel canteen.

I remember going to the local primary school but I can't remember the name of it. It was a lovely time for a young boy because there were lots of kids to play with and lots of 'exotic' new experiences to enjoy in this (what was then) a foreign country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: