Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

photos of fairy meadow hostel 1951-1958

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leiner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: photos of fairy meadow hostel 1951-1958 Reply with quote

having spent a few years in fairy meadow hostel as a child i am looking for photos of the period at the hostel 1951-1958. my mum worked in the office for few years before we relocated to storey street fairy meadow.
Johnb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: photos at Fairy Medow Reply with quote

Sorry we dont have pics of Fairy Medow, but wife and her family were at Fairy Medow at the same time as you. We drove past whats left it on Saturday, it is now part of the University of Wollongong, they said that several of the old nissan huts would be left standing as a reminder of what was there but we couldnt see anything, Regards JohnB
leiner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: fairy meadow hostel Reply with quote

john b did you guys happen to move to story street fairy meadow when you left the hostel. just that i used to hang with a guy that lived next door to us at no 21 with the same initials as yours
Johnb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Fairy Medow hostel Reply with quote

Sorry Leiner, I was not at Fairy Medow, my wife and her family were there in the early fiftys, when they left the hostel they moved to Bennelong Street Bulli, There family name was Stewart. We meet at the Tarogie skating rinc. I was at the East hills hostel from June 61 untill christmas 61 and then again for 3 or 4 months in november 62.
Sorry about the spelling of Taroggi, ive never had think about the spelling before.
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Fairy Meadow Pics Reply with quote

If you follow this link, it will take you to the Migrant Heritage Project. It has a photo of the Fairy Meadow Mess hall and some others that have been preserved. There is also a couple of other photos on the site that might be of some interest.
I notice with a little amusement that they spell the huts wrong like many others. They are Nissen Huts (not spelled like the car maker Nissan)
Good Hunting. Richard Hallford.

http://www.mhpillawarra.com/projects-nissan%20huts.html
GinaKate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link Richard, and grateful to see some of our past preserved. I hope to be able to go and see the site for myself this year, and also East Hills, the last time I was in East Hills was 1966, the re-visiting time is long overdue. Just not sure if I will be able to find my way around.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: East Hills site Reply with quote

I know what you are saying. I did the same thing. First time back to the East Hills site was a real shock. Proportions and distances were not the same as I remembered from when I was 11years old. I hope you realise that the entire Hostel is gone, with no buildings left at all. However, the main oval is still there, in spite of the encroachment of the bush everywhere now. You can still , barely, make out the concrete slabs of the Nissen Huts. Will not be long now before the bush completely takes over any sign of previous building. Unless they sell the site to developers before hand, which is more than likely.
Still, once you are on the bridge over the George River looking up at East Hills town (which itself has lost its main shopping centre to the railway) the memories come flooding back. I hope you make the pilgrimage as I did. Richard Hallford.
GinaKate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Richard, I did read from your earlier posts that there is nothing left of the hostel but there comes a time when you just want to stand and look at the place where you were first brought to for the start of your new life.
That first day is as clear as if it happened yesterday, we walked to the railway station, caught the train into town, mum bought sandals for us and a summer top, we had just arrived from the English winter, what a shock. On the way back a group of soldiers walked by and in unison said hello to mum, except for one cheeky soldier who said 'Hello mum, out walking with your daughters are you?' At age 15 I was so embarrassed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: East Hills Hostel Reply with quote

Im not sure if you saw my earlier posts on this, but I have put up a copy of the East Hills Hostel lay out, which clearly shows the positions of the Nissen Huts and main buildings. Its on the National Archives of Australia.
They have just recently released three more pictures of EHH, where you can clearly see the Rec Hall, behind some guests in 1973. Well worth a look.
Due to the availability of easy to use software, I have been toying with the idea of creating a 3D fly through model of the Hostel. There is quite a it of work compiling it though and Im concious of slipping into insane nostalia mode (hehe). However, as the site is now gone, it might be an idea to have a virtual hostel. I could incorporate photos from the public into it (think 2nd life virtual reality program).
With modern software now able to turn 2d photos into 3D, Im tempted. I just need to find the time amongst my other projects. (Im currently writing a book on my family history).
Just one more thing, if you get to EHH site, walk up to the (new) bridge and watch the jelly fish still floating up and down the George River. It brought it all back for me, as some things just never change. Regards, Richard.
Katherine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: East Hills Hostel Reply with quote

Hi Richard, I used to live in Panania and worked at St George Hospital Sydney. I think it may have been 1999-2001 or2 I was a member of medical team conducting health checks at East Hills Hostel for displaced persons from Yugoslavia. The Hostel was no longer Nissan Huts as I remembered it rather purpose built units of 3 levels high,with a fence around the complex. The Heathcote Hostel had been replaced with a rail line to Glenfield and a very up market housing estate where the desert used to be. Eventually the patients I looked after returned to Yugoslavia. Cheers Katherine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: