Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dundas Hostel Memories
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Dundas Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GinaKate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other girl on the hostel who went to Cumberland High was Valerie Johnston. Were you in school with her?
My sister is still friendly with Gwen Poole, they had a mini reunion last year at the Lapstone Pub.
Sonia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GinaKate, Valerie was a close friend of mine. She was a year ahead and we travelled on the train together to school. There were quite a few of us going to Cumberland when I started but we all left the hostel withing a couple of years.
BTW the Lapstone Hotel is very close to where I live (in Blaxland). We go there weekly for a meal Smile
GinaKate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well fancy that. I was really friendly with Valerie too, I was a year older than her, and I went to the Metropolitan Business College in Parramatta, hence the bus trip home picking up the students from St Patrick's on the way. I have tried to find her but without success. The last time I saw her was probably 1972, her surname at that time was Conden, or Congdon, something like that.

And you are in Blaxland. My mum, sister, nieces and nephew are all in Blaxland. You would probably recognize them, they all (with the exception of mum) frequent the Lapstone. The next time they are having a get together I will give you the nod, and if you feel like it you can go and introduce yourself. I don't think you will know any of them except for Gwen and her husband Mick Warren, they all arrived at the hostel after 1966 and either went to Macarthur High, or, started work at age 15.
I'm hoping to be in Sydney at easter, maybe I can sort something, but as for now, I'm leaving for England this weekend.
Sonia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GinaKate, sorry to take so long to reply, have had computer problems. You may not get this message until later if you are overseas. I think I knew Mick Warren on the hostel and probably know your family, at least by sight. I will send you a personal message in a few weeks. Sonia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Dundas Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: