Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording our history

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Recording our history Reply with quote

Sitting here reading the memories of all of us old hostelites it is dawning on me that we should be making the effort to record those memories and ensure that we pass them down to children and even be logged into the nation archives so that there is a permanent record, for if it is lost that would be a tradgety.
There is so much that is locked away in our memories it really takes something like this forum to bring it to light again.
Then I start to get angry with what is dished out today to the illegals that make there ay here it just seems so wrong.
Could you immagine telling the illegals today that they would have to walk the 2 to 3 Klms from East Hills or Hethcote Hostel to the train station.
Or even that there only facilities were communal. Any way thats getting of the track, I now know that i will be trying to put something together for son and daughter, and my garnd daughter. [/b]
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to do something like that when my memoirs on the Altona thread are finished. They still have a long way to go. Our kids will appreciate it in maybe 20 years time. And don't feel bad for expressing yourself about the illegals....anyone who has personally been through the ( legal) migrant experience, who has done it the hard way would be right behind you. The rest of the community is in denial that they are spoon- fed cheats and ratbags who will give Australia plenty of trouble in the future. The local Afghan, Iraqi and Sri Lankan communities who are already established here don't seem to be doing a lot of lobbying to accept them in their " desperate predicament". To me, that indicates that they don't want to encourage what is obviously the scum element from their own countries, that they were glad to leave behind. And I don't buy that pathetic " but most of them make Good Citizens" ...just pick up any daily newspaper and see that our courts are clogged with them and a spectrum of their serious misdemeanours. I'm trying to distance myself from this issue but it's hard, remembering what our own parents and neighbours went through, and behaved well under genuine tough conditions.
Johnb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussietrekker, yes we are being led up the proverbial garden path, its little like Neville Chamberain said before the 2nd world war, "there will be peice in our time". Australia up untill now is the only country in the world that has never had a civel war, I think that, that may happen if our government doest start listening to what we want. Our leaders dont understend what we want, I personely dont care who come and lives in Australia as long as they accept me for what I am, and if they do not like it they can go back to where they come from.,,, the illegals as we put it should have no writes at all, if I jumped on a plane and went to the UK or USA and said that we wanted to let into the there country we would be on a plane pout of therebefore our feet hit the ground.
My parents left the UK in 1961 to get away from what is happening here now, My father was uk army he foaught on what was called the north west frontier [Afganistan]in the 30s, as he alaways said the will never change and also that we should nver ever trust them. cry cry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: