Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broadmeadows Hostel 1962-1966 inmate looking for answers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juanisjam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Broadmeadows Hostel 1962-1966 inmate looking for answers. Reply with quote

Hello this is my first post. My name is Juan Antonio Martinez, i am the youngest of 5 - 3 sisters and 1 brother who is the oldest. My family migrated here from Spain in The early 60s and were sent to the Broadmeadows Hostel. I was 3 or 4 at the time and have very few memories of that place, some of what i do know is that my mother cooked for the Hostel, my father worked at the Ford factory, we were the only Spanish family and we were there for a very long time compared to others. I am now 51 both parents are dead and i have no contact with my siblings, my family would never speak of our time there. All of my attemps to find out anything about that time failed. I am looking for any information about that time.
Len

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Juan, welcome to the forums and good look with your quest.

wave
juanisjam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Len wrote:
Hi Juan, welcome to the forums and good look with your quest.

wave

thankyou! If i ever find any photos i will. Very Happy
David worboys

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Broadmeadows Hostel Reply with quote

Hi Juan,I am David Worboys/Draper. Broadmeadows Hostel was also incorporated with an Army Camp, I lived in Broadmeadows for some years and once visited the Hostel area of the site with some German friends, there was a small quarry there which was a poular swimming hole with the migrant residents, I spent a couple of weeks on the army part of it as a Reservist soldier. The whole complex was situated on(would you believe) Camp Road, which ran between Pascoe Vale Road and the Hume Highway. Your dad's workplace(Ford's) was north just up the road, from Camp Rd. Broadmeadows is now a very big place and what used to be fields stretching across to Essendon and Sunbury (West Meadows) is also heavily built up. The Broadmeadows Railway station was once a small place at the end of the northern line but is now a large shopping centre and Pascoes Vale Road running through it, was once a quiet almost traffickless narrow country road but is now dense with traffick,.Hope this helps. David
Steve1964

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Juan Broadmeadows 1964 Reply with quote

Hi Juan
I lived on the Broadmeadows Hostel with my family from May 1964 to December 1966.
I knew your family and often played with your brother Manolo. You lived in a quiet corner of the hostel, near Camp Rd., and had three sisters.
I have some photos and some memories of those times. Hope to hear from you.
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: