Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Days at Easthills Hostel(New Member)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Days at Easthills Hostel(New Member) Reply with quote

Hi to you all, great to come accross this site brings back some great memories. My name is John Lawrence my older brother is Eddy& sister Vicky we were at East hills from 1961-1964 hut no 123a arrived on the Fairsky, next door was afamily i think there name was hutchin or Hutchinson 2 boys and a girl the eldest boy was Ray. I remember my old man making us a raft out of 4x 44 gallon drums with a wood deck on top we use'd to sail down the George river to Peter Pan island swimming & fishing on the way(like something out of huck finn) I remember the army camp not far from the camp we would sneak in there and wait till the solders went out on training, they lived in mud huts with thatched roofs, all that was inside was a camp bed but they'd leave there rations outside in a net bag,being kids we would go through looking for vegemite or peanut butter, nearly got caught a couple of times.i remember we were digging in the sand near the army camp and uncovered all this army gear they must have buried,ausi army hats machetes riffles 303 no bolt actions fold out picks&shovels we all had army hats and machetes before the army came with diggers dug them up and took them away, the things we used to get up to! anyway we returned to the UK in 1964. I returned 1974 and still live in Perth [/list][/code][/quote][/i][/b]
jean

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JT,
You must have been a neighbour, we lived in 124a from april 1963 till about October or November of that year. I too remember the name Huchinson. My name is Jean Channon and I was 13 my brother John was 15 and my younger brother Phil was 5, I looked after Phil whilst my Mum and Dad went to work and so I did not go to school in Australia. Had a great time on the hostel as kids. Jean
I was on the hostel from april to about October 1963. My best friend was Irene Paterson who went back to Scotland I think, on the Fairsky in 1963. We lived in 124a and as a 13 yr old I had a ball on the hostel.
Johnb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Raft Reply with quote

I too remember building a raft and getting it out in the midle of the creek and some started shoting at us with aslug gun
Vicky Smith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jean wrote:
Hi JT,
You must have been a neighbour, we lived in 124a from april 1963 till about October or November of that year. I too remember the name Huchinson. My name is Jean Channon and I was 13 my brother John was 15 and my younger brother Phil was 5, I looked after Phil whilst my Mum and Dad went to work and so I did not go to school in Australia. Had a great time on the hostel as kids. Jean

Jean I think that you and I were friends, did your father love the trotting horses because I think I remember him taking us all our in the evening to the horses. We had s Sunday school on the camp and we were teaching some of the little ones at the school, my maiden name was Vicky Lawrence, you were just over the way from us and lived on the end of the two nissen huts near to ours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: