Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American family 1965-66

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dorfor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: American family 1965-66 Reply with quote

Hello,
My family lived on Cabramatta Hostel from Sept 1965 to Sept 1966, for exactly one year and one day. We were one of two American families there � the other family stayed only a short time. In 1965 we were my brother Greg Forgrave (Aug 1949 � July 2000) , me, Dorothy Forgrave, brother Bruce Scharf and sister Linda Scharf, mum Evelyn Scharf (1927 � 2006) and stepfather Allan Scharf (1929 � 1987). We were supposed to go to Bonegilla Hostel in Victoria. On arrival at Sydney Airport we were asked if we would like to settle in Sydney instead. My parents agreed, and a number of hostels were called before a vacancy appeared at Cabramatta. Two black Commonwealth cars drove our family to Cabramatta Hostel on Sept 3, 1965.

Last edited by dorfor on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
thomas

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: American family 1965-66 Reply with quote

Dear Dorothy: my name is Peter Thomas and I was at the Cabramatta Hostel with my parents for a few months in early 1966. That was not the happiest time in our lives but (as most others did) we made the best of it as we started a new life.

I have only just discovered these forums, and came across your post on your family. My Cabramatta memories had certainly faded, but I instantly recognised your family. In particular, I well remember your brother, Greg, who was so friendly and helpful to me. I also remember chatting with your stepfather who had, I think, a scientific background - perhaps in biology. Nice guy too.

I was saddened to see in your post that Greg died in 2000. So young at only 51! We kept in touch a little after I left Cabramatta and I got the impression he lived apart from your family in the late 1960s when, to me, he simply disappeared. Did he ever marry and have children? If you would be so kind as to let me know something of his life I would be grateful. If you don't wish to respond on an open forum, please feel free to send me a direct email at [email protected].

I do hope the years have treated you well! Thanks for taking the trouble to post details of your family on this forum and provoking some good memories that were virtually forgotten :)

Best wishes. Peter Thomas
dorfor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,
Yes, my stepfather Allan had a science degree and worked at the Dept of Health both in New York and here in Sydney. Unfortunately he suffered from MS, which claimed him early. Greg left home at 18 years old, soon after we settled in Beverly Hills after leaving the hostel. He had been training as a boilermaker while on the hostel. Had he continued with school, he would have been put in Form 2 with me, and been three years older the other students. (I was one year older.) We had sat a test in Parramatta in order to place us. Quite a few questions were calculations in pounds/shillings/pence � Greg and I had no idea. I think that affected our marks. Greg left Australia in the late 60�s to go back to the states. He never married.
Regards from Dorothy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: